Tuesday, February 28, 2023

A lazy day at sea

This is my early morning view on Day 44, with only 136 days left on our ride around the world. As you can see from the photo, today is a sea day. In my case, it has been a very lazy day. There are plenty of things I could be doing both in our cabin or around the ship, but today I chose to be lazy. I had intended to go to a cooking demonstration this morning but actually forgot about it until it was already over. Instead I ate a late breakfast, caught up on some emails, enjoyed a late lunch in our room and took a nice long nap this afternoon. Like I said - lazy!

wake up view - Day 44

I did work on my Bible study this afternoon in hopes that I will have adequate internet to participate via Zoom tomorrow. Of course Ronnie who is forever disciplined stuck to his personal routine of eating at normal mealtimes, exercising, taking a nap and working on his research. He is prepared for his online Men's BSF (Bible study) tonight and he's usually able to participate with no problem because it doesn't start until 10 pm (ship time) and not as many people are using the internet at that time of the day. I take a book or my laptop to the library while he's doing that.

Since I don't have anything special to write about today, I'm going to share some photos I took of the port in Buenos Aires. These aren't the kind I normally take but they will hopefully give you some idea of what goes on in shipping ports. 

Have you ever stopped to think when you buy something how far that product had to travel in order to show up on the shelf at your Walmart or Dollar Tree? Me neither. I’ve mentioned before about how huge and busy these port operations are. These photos don't begin to show the scale of how large this equipment is that lifts these containers, but keep in mind that each one fits on the back of an 18-wheeler truck. And these huge lifts are picking them up and putting them on truck after truck after truck. All. Day. Long.


use passenger buses for scale


row after row of containers as far as the eye can see


truck after truck pulling away with a single container





I’ve also talked about some of the things that have to happen during the time we’re in port for this and other cruise ships. Unloading all the trash the ship generates, plus loading up fresh food, beverages, paper goods and other supplies can be an all day process! These things have to be done in addition to routine maintenance at every single port. I snapped a few photos of our ship yesterday as we walked back from our bike ride. 

 

many hours spent restocking the ship

                 

loading more supplies


constant exterior maintenance is required (re-painting)

sorting, compressing and hauling away trash

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. What a great job of showing perspective in these pictures! Love seeing your amazing trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you're along for the ride! Say hello to Ron, "Spare" and Peter Parker for us. haha!

      Delete