Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Another day, another port

San Antonio (Santiago), Chile

Today we were docked in Port San Antonio, the main freight port city of Chile. It is a large, modern port that serves Chile's capital. The port is approximately 1.5 hour outside the city of Santiago. As with some of the other ports, we did not have an excursion booked so we did not explore the city. But as is our custom, we did get off the ship for awhile and walk around the port area.

Of course the first thing we noticed were the many colorful fishing boats docked in the harbor. Fishermen were going about their chores, unloading their catch, straightening their nets, etc. We also immediately noticed the number of stray dogs running around. None were wearing collars; however none were especially skinny so clearly they are eating somewhere. Some were sleeping soundly, completely oblivious to the many people who were walking all around them. Others were just lying in random places and a few were running together in groups of four or five.Thankfully, none were aggressive.

We also noticed quite a few makeshift memorials to local fishermen on the rocks near the water, likely who lost their lives to the sea.

There were also lots of small vendors setting up with their wares, selling anything from weapons made from swordfish bills to candy, jewelry, clothing, trinkets and of course lots of fresh caught fish.

I took photos with my phone which will show you a bit of what we saw.

 

fishing boats docked in port harbor


 

memorials to local fishermen


dried seaweed used in cooking


produce vendor


slippery when wet!


minding the store


swordfish bill craftsmanship


1 Texan, 2 Chileans


fresh ceviche?



our "home away from home" (Insignia) in background

in memory of...
fresh shellfish

stray dogs everywhere!


colorful produce


fishmongers hard at work



friendly marketeer



a monument to fishermen


fresh caught salmon


salmon or crab today?



13 comments:

  1. This is not working for me as before. I like the swordfish craft. Putting my name in will not show Publish. Have to be called anonymous I guess. Lj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! Sometimes I'm Anonymous as well! Sometimes I forget to enter my name and sometimes I think it's the website.

      Delete
  2. Chile must be known for fish and stray dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure if we had excursions here we would see a lot more than just fishing boats, fish markets and stray dogs!

      Delete
  3. Wow, do they actually sell all those fish?? What is Plan B when they are no longer fresh? Inquiring minds want to know ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good questions! I have no idea - maybe we don't want to know?? Some of what I've seen hasn't looked especially sanitary!

      Delete
    2. PS Ronnie says "maybe that's why the dogs are so fat!" lol

      Delete
    3. But where are the fat cats?? Lol

      Delete
    4. That's what WE wanted to know!!? Two more outings since this one and you guessed it - more dogs!!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Howdy, Louise! I'm so glad you're keeping up with us and staying in touch! I think of you often, and especially when I'm enjoying a cup of tea. The ship actually has an afternoon tea time with a string quartet every afternoon between 4-5. I haven't been because it's too close to our dinner time, but I've wondered what their scones are like! I'll have to check that out one day. Or maybe I don't need to know! ;-)

      Delete
  5. Sorry about the hello instead of Howdy. Whatever has got into me. Just trying a new way to comment as per Exa. It is working better. Please tryvthose scones out and get back to me. LJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were not disappointing! There's this one place in Stow-on-the-Wold (England) that has the BEST SCONES EVER. These weren't as good as those, but they were still very good - and better than many I've had in England! They also were served with real clotted cream. I would be better off not knowing about these. ;-)

      Delete