Monday, February 6, 2023

Something smells fishy...


Iquique, Chile - Have you ever heard the expression "it’s like waking up in a different world” every day? I use that expression sometimes, but lately I’ve been literally doing it! Not so much in a different world, but in a different part of the world for sure!

So today is Sunday, February 5 and this morning I woke in Iquique (sounds like i-kay-kay), a port city in northern Chile. According to our daily “Currents” it lies on the Pacific coast, west of the Pampa del Tamarugal, which is part of the Atacama Desert. Iquique has a population of around 200,000. It was originally known for its saltpetre mining in the 19th century. Also, Iquique has been devastated by several earthquakes (1868, 1877 and 2005) and in 2014 it experienced an earthquake of 8.2 on the rector scale. There's also a lot of history here which I won’t remember, and certainly won't try to repeat.

Although we didn’t have an excursion planned here, the city offers a free shuttle service from the port into its historic district, Arturo Prat Square. I decided to check it out but Ronnie has been nursing a sunburn so he stayed behind and did his own thing. Being early on a Sunday morning, the businesses, banks and restaurants were all closed so I just wandered around and took a few photos to help me remember the place. 

A few street vendors were starting to set up, offering trinkets and other touristy stuff to visitors like myself. But mainly it was just folks milling around with cameras and that was about it. After about 30 minutes, I walked back to the shuttle pick up/drop off point to go back to the ship. 

city center, Iquique



Chilean flag reminds us of TX flag!



what is this?

After boarding the shuttle, I overheard some women talking about the fish market. I knew it would only get hotter as the day went on and the likelihood of my going back would probably be "zero," so I hopped off the bus and headed for the fish market since it was only 3 blocks away. I'm sure I looked like "a stranger in these parts" but I didn't care. I had fun wandering along the dock snapping pictures of whatever caught my eye.


fishermen shooting the breeze


sea bird hanging out


sea lions and dogs hang out too

 

replica of the Spanish Galleon ship, Esmeralda



colorful view of Port Iquique, Chile



fishing any good?



view of fish market looking toward city center


Naturally I took way more photos than I can post here, but the photos don’t do the place justice. I wish I could have bottled up the smells and sounds as well but you’ll have to use your imagination for that. Anyway, it was worth my time to walk down to the market which was definitely the busiest place in town on a Sunday morning.


slimy business


colorful fishing boats under clear skies



got any leftovers?



muscles, clams, oysters, etc



shopping for today's catch



ceviche to go?



as fresh as it gets



any way you slice it



fishmonger hard at work



what's for supper?



here's looking at you...



view from fish market back toward port




makeshift memorial to Iquique fishermen
 


closer view

2 comments:

  1. Ed Johnson, fisherman husband, would be in "Fish Heaven" in Chile. South America really is the place to enjoy. Enjoyed the pictures of market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! He would have loved the fishing here!

      Delete