Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Port Stanley - Pt 2

Today is a sea day and when our very sweet stateroom attendant Irina Gilmanshina came in to freshen our room, she and I were talking about seeing the penguins yesterday. She basically did the same thing we did, meaning she bought a trip after she went ashore to go out and see the penguins. However, she and her friends were taken to a different part of the beach where they saw them much closer up. She said they actually stood only a few feet from them, thus the great photos!

Irina said they were mostly babies waiting on their mothers to come feed them, flapping their wings and making loud noises. How a mother can find her baby among dozens of other babies crying out for food is beyond me! Irina is quite a good photographer, so with her permission I am happy to be able to share these photos with you today, the day after our visit to the Falkland Islands. I will even include a short video. Enjoy! 

 


white sugar sand beach


rocky ridge

dozens of baby penguins waiting to be fed


diddle dee - native island plant


hangin' out


Gypsy Cove


where is she?!


and what's taking her so long??


7 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the penguin pictures up close and diddle dee. Reminds me of what Scarlet O'Hara said in Gone With The wind. "Fiddle dee dee."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - you're too funny! But when you see its scientific name, you can see why people prefer to call it by its alternate name. Plus it's just fun to say diddle dee! ;)

      Delete
  2. Louise Johnson, anon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I love seeing these darling penguins in these closeup photos! I shared them with Adrienne. She has always had a fascination with these little guys since she was a child! Love, love, love your blogs, videos & photos! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with Adrienne, they are adorable! Thank you for your kind words!

      Delete
  4. I also share with my Adrienne the penguins that she has loved. Forwarded a good picture of them to Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool!! I saw someone's phone photos today and she was literally only a few feet away from them!

      Delete