Wednesday, February 1, 2023

What's for brunch?


food "art"

Yesterday we received an invitation for brunch in the Main Dining Room from 10-1 today. Ronnie thought we should go just to see what it was, since this was the first brunch since we’ve been on the ship. We arrived around 12:15 and it was still busy, though the majority were already finishing up or just visiting over dessert. Only later did we discover that the brunch was only for the 180 day passengers. We've learned that there are passengers on this ship who are just doing certain "segments" of the cruise. So passengers are beginning and ending their cruises at various ports along the way.

 

view from our table


boatload of berries

selection of raw fish 

various tropical fruits


salmon pastry


watermelon warrior

 

One of the things I like very much about the food service on this ship (especially during Covid) is that guests do not serve themselves. In the more casual dining areas of most ships (at least in our experience), guests serve themselves from a buffet type setting, meaning that many guests are touching the same serving utensils. Translate that to hundreds of people and theoretically, you might be touching something a couple of hundred other people have already touched. 

Of course there are Purell machines located on both sides of the entrance and exit doors of these rooms, but still…. On Oceania, even in the casual eating areas, there are many servers and the food is behind a slanted glass "half" shield. Guest indicate what they want and a (masked and capped) server, using a utensil, serves it onto a plate. So no one touches anything except yourself and the server. Wrapped flatware is already on the table so there is no handling anything other than your own plate. Waiters serve drinks at your table.


passion fruit (L) dragon fruit (R)

It was the same at the brunch. There were “stations” set up for the various type offerings and attending servers to put anything you wanted onto your plate. There were separate stations for antipasti, bread, fruit, fish/meat and of course desserts. The fruit tables were the most colorful and I was glad I had my phone with me because I started snapping photos of the various displays. I especially liked the colorful fruits. There was plenty of raw fish at the fish station (the raw tuna was served with heads on) but it did not appeal to me (actually it grossed me out). And there were numerous other types of raw fish being offered as well. To each his own.

There were quite a few fruits that I had never even seen before so I asked what they were. I was told but since I had never heard of them, of course I couldn't remember. But I tried most of them. I loved the fresh papaya, dragon fruit (2 kinds) and blueberries. I also tried probably 3 or 4 that were completely new to me. I've had passion fruit in a drink when we were in Indonesia. If you’ve never had it, just let me say that the inside (you don’t eat the outside) looks like a slimey clump of fish eggs - all stuck together. It doesn’t have flesh like most fruits, but is rather a bunch of little black seeds enclosed in a jelly-like substance. As disgusting as that sounds, believe me when I say it tastes delicious! The yellow dragon fruit was very sweet (the red, not so much but I have eaten it when it was sweet). The small round orange colored fruit was as sour as a lemon. The guava was so-so, as it didn't have a lot of flavor (probably wasn't ripe enough).

 

servers are always so helpful and friendly to guests

Another large melon/squash looking fruit which I also can’t remember the name of had a melon-like consistency but very little flavor. The small green oval shaped fruit had the consistently of a pear. There were several carved gourds (they call them pumpkins) in the shape of fish, elephants, sea horse, etc.

 

oranges to look like clownfish


pumpkin/gourd dragon

 

"flowers" of beets and jimica

Of course the dessert table will always be my weakness! Ronnie had the red velvet cake but I went for the baklava and cheesecake. It will be nothing short of a real-life miracle if I don’t gain weight on this trip.  


sweets and more sweets


 

Oceania's 20th year

12 comments:

  1. Wow. What a beautiful display of food. It would be hard to choose what to eat. Yes, the art of it all was.fantastic! Lj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it's amazing how creative some folks can get with food. Glad you enjoyed seeing it!

      Delete
  2. Happy Groundhog Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure who's wishing me a Happy Groundhog Day but same to you! Supposedly there were groundhog cupcakes on the ship today but I didn't see them. LOL

      Delete
  3. I'm with Ronnie. I'll take Red Velvet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan - I might miss something on board, but that brunch would definitely not be one of them! What an experience! Such creativity-almost have to see it to believe it- how could you describe that ‘warrior’? Pictures are truly fantastic! We may not BE there but believe me, thanks to the time you take with your blog of pictures and observations we are truly enjoying your adventure as if we are actually there!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! I'm so glad you're enjoying it!!

      Delete
  5. O my, I gained 5 pounds just looking at the dessert photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The presentation of all this food is amazing! I wouldn't have liked the fish served with the heads on, either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last night was South American cuisine and I took more photos. I may have to post a few more photos. :)

      Delete