Friday, February 17, 2023

I can't help myself!

Y'all, I’ll go ahead and apologize up front. I wore out my shutter finger today and this isn’t nearly all of them!! I probably took hundreds of shots as we sailed through passages on our first day in Antarctica. You already know that I have a heavy shutter finger and given the majesty and grandeur of this place, there was just no stopping me. I also took a few 20 second videos and I would love to post one, but I’m not sure this internet connection would let me. As it is, I have to wait for opportunities that it will let me log in.

This morning after breakfast I went up on the top deck to take a few photos from there. I loved seeing some of the ship crew up there having fun with each other. The only time we see them is when they’re working (and they do work hard), so it was nice that they were getting to play a little. They are from all over the world and no doubt some of them are from countries that never see snow. Anyway, by that time it was snowing and someone had built a small snowman on the upper deck. I wasn’t up there long at all – just long enough to grab a few shots because it was really coming down and I didn’t want my camera to get wet.

The rest of the photos I took today were from our balcony. And of course there are (lots) more where these came from. It’s just that everything is sooo beautiful and the scenery is constantly changing! We’ve already spotted a few whales, schools of those cute little penguins, lazy seals and sea birds. The whale expert on board has good binoculars so she would give us at “heads up” over the speaker so we would know where to look.

The morning started off really cloudy but the sun was in and out this afternoon. At dinner, the sun was shining on the ice “mountains” and turning their faces sparkling silver! I didn’t have my camera with me but I snapped a few with Ronnie’s phone through the salty ship window but I haven’t even looked at them yet. After dinner (around 9 pm) we came back to the room and I snapped one final picture for the day as the sun was beginning to set. Yes, it stays light really late here!

It was too difficult to narrow it down further and I’m thinking since some of you may have not visited Antarctica or possibly won’t, perhaps you will indulge me for over posting. When I was a little girl, whenever someone would do something that was really good or that they were proud of, we would say “You did a bug!” That was just our way of bragging on someone when they did something that was extra special. As we sailed through the glaciers and mountains of Antarctica today, I kept thinking to myself “God really did a bug when He created this!”

Hope you enjoy them! I won’t try to label them unless I want to point something out.

 

 

 















notice the formation of this iceberg

lots of tiny black and white penguins on rocks



lazy elephant seal








notice scale of ice to men in boat


for scale




penguins on rock


penguin skipping along


Only God


miles and miles and miles


just before sunset

 

 

8 comments:

  1. WOW! Thank you for sharing your trip! God did do a bug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! Like I said, the photos can't even begin to do the tiniest bit of justice to what is here! I hope to post some video that give a little better idea.

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you did not leave us and our world behind. Seeing the whale tale’s ‘waterfall’ and the penguins is not something we see everyday, but I can almost feel the cold! The floating ice and the sea like glass you described came alive in your photos. I don’t know how you manage to capture such spectacular sights!!! We are so glad you’re taking us along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! But everyone here agrees that the pictures don't even begin to capture this beauty! I'm glad that a few of the shots had boats in them because it helps to get some idea of the scale of it all! I'm thankful for the photos but I so wish I could preserve the "real thing" in my mind!! I sure miss reading your texts but alas, no phone service!

      Delete