Thursday, August 15, 2024

Berlin (Warnemunde), Germany




From 6 a.m. until 9:30 All Aboard, we're in Warnemunde, Germany. Some from our ship took the 3 hour train ride into Berlin. Others chose to take a 30 minute train ride into nearby Rostock. We would have probably enjoyed milling around Rostock, but we decided instead just to stay in Warnemunde and walk around since a train ride didn't really appeal to us and we've never been to Warnemunde. Also, it was the first day that warmer temps were predicted (high of 90). So we decided to just get out and see a bit of Warnemunde after breakfast with the intention of being back on the ship within just a few hours, and that's exactly what we did.

We walked out through the cruise center and directly into an area where there was a little carnival set up. There were also some sand art exhibits that I snapped some photos of.

 

cute little strawberry vendor's booth

step right up! lol



mythical story of Atlantis


From there we crossed the train tracks and then the short distance to the busy canal. There were lots of ships lining it on both sides, as you might expect.


 

photo taken from bridge


As soon as we crossed the bridge, I spotted these "love locks." We decided that since this is our anniversary month, we would buy one to place ourselves. However, we never found a store that was selling and engraving them. We first saw this done many years ago on the Ponte Vecchio bridge in Florence, Italy. So on our 45th, we ordered a love lock and placed it along with many others in front of the court house in Love Lock, Nevada. We tried doing it again years later in Scotsdale, AZ but the store that carried them had sold out.

 

Lovelock, Nevada on our 45th
  Florence, Italy
    


     






close up - Warnemunde, Germany



love locks on canal -  Warnemunde, Germany

 

public walkway runs parallel to beach

fresh fish

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I snapped a few photos of the interesting period architecture. I love the flowers in the window boxes. The church is a Lutheran church.

 

revival or tudor style architecture

The Lutheran Church of Warnemunde

I saw this grocery store and went in. I was thrilled to be able to pick up a few items that I haven't been able to find elsewhere. However, when I was done and went to get in the check out line, I started following it to the very back of the store and then it wrapped around halfway across the back! I debated putting my items down, but then decided I would try to stick it out. 

Thankfully, there were 3 or 4 check out stations so it moved a little faster than I thought it might. I hadn't forgotten that one has to pay extra if you want a bag to put your items in. I had already paid (via credit card) when I realized it, and I didn't want to put the equivalent of 20 cents on my card so I decided I would just try to carry it. The kind gentleman behind me saw what had happened so he went over and picked up several clear vegetable bags for me to put my stuff in. Very nice of him, and so much more convenient! The things we take for granted...

 

the store was extremely crowded, but nice


fresh produce


how about a doner kebab?
can you read the flavors?


   

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

We walked down to the beach just to see it. Us and perhaps several thousand others. The weather was so nice and people of all ages were out in droves. I don't know what these things are called, but people rent these little covered beach seats so they have a place out of the sun to enjoy the beach. 

 

wooden pathways lead to beach


rented strandkorb (hooded beach chairs) are very popular here

as far as we could see in either direction

We also walked through a public park that was very well maintained. We were surprised to see this public book swap area. An older man was picking out a book to read. The books were in good condition and neatly organized. We were thinking that in the US, this would probably be vandalized, graffiti covered and destroyed! 

 

borrow books here

We also walked through a small square where there were small booths set up with craft items for sale. I didn't spend much time there because it was starting to get hot and we were getting tired and on our way back to the ship. We walked past dozens of shops selling beachwear, shoes and clothing.

 

earrings and pendants to put on chains


beautiful rock art

 

We ended up walking around for about 3 hours and we were plenty tired and plenty hot by the time we arrived back at the ship around 12:30 or so. It was the perfect day for eating onboard, taking a nice long nap and doing not much of anything else.

Warnemunde is a lovely beach town with water and rail connections to the larger cities. It also seems to be a destination city with its clean beaches and blue Baltic waters. I found a grocery store and a drugstore where I was able to pick up a few things and we enjoyed an ice cream at a sidewalk cafe. And as always, I snapped a lot of photos with my phone.

 

polizeis drive Mercedes



No comments:

Post a Comment