Monday, August 19, 2024

An afternoon in Blankenberge, Belgium

It's Sunday, but it really doesn't feel like Sunday. There is no sign of Sunday anywhere around me. I take that back. As I sit here in Horizon Lounge to write this blog post, 3 violinists are playing nearby and to my surprise, they played Amazing Grace, The Lord's Prayer and Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring a little while ago. People who are in the lounge having tea clapped for them. It was a nice surprise!

Because we were out a good part of the day yesterday, we decided we'd be in no hurry to get off the ship today. So we both did our own thing this morning, had lunch together in the Terrace Cafe and then went out to catch the shuttle into Brugge where we're supposed to be today. Actually, while we are relatively close to Brugge, it would be a shuttle and then a taxi ride away and we waited too late to do that. Rather than be really rushed, we decided we would just to take the shuttle into Blankenberge which is not far from where we're docked.

 


Being Sunday afternoon, literally "everyone and their dog" seemed to be out. We were dropped off next to Sint Antonius Church (I snapped a quick photo inside). It was located on the corner of a public park where a craft show was being held. The first tent had 3 ladies in it who were creating what is called bobbin lace. I can't imagine the time and patience that goes into making such beautiful lace pieces by hand, literally thread by thread! I had a nice little visit with them while they continued to work. One of them had been doing this for 45 years. I'll make the photos large so that you can appreciate the intricacy of their work.

 

Sint Antonius, Blankenberge

 

the art of bobbin lace

I wonder how many hours it takes to make each piece?

bobbin lace made by braiding and twisting thread

 

We did a quick walk around the park as we passed through different crafts - a lot of jewelry, pottery, paintings and such. After leaving the park, we walked maybe a block or two into what seemed to be the main part of the city. There was a flea market set up with vendors carrying all sorts of stuff - glassware, old books, DVDs, collectables, used military clothing, candy - you name it. 

 

comic collection

 

salt & pepper shakers


 

gummies, gummies and more gummies


 

From there we kept walking down the very pedestrian friendly street (no cars) where restaurants and shops lined each side of the road. I've never seen so many dogs out with their owners. And I've never seen so many dogs being pushed in strollers in one place. So many in fact, that I may just make this a two-part post.


Belgium politie drive BMWs too
outdoor men's walk in toilet


 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

beautiful berries!

 

stores bring merchandise to street
streets very crowded with people

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

chocolate shop - yum yum


some I know, some I don't
in line for coffee

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

loved these street decorations!

After walking up and down the street (Ronnie all the way to the beach where he said there were people as far as the eye could see in both directions), we decided to head back to our shuttle pick up location. It's been a nice sunny day in Belgium with a high of 70 degrees. 

Speaking of temperatures, it looks like it's 100 degrees at home today with expected temperature of 102 and 104 for the next few days. We got our water bill today. It hit an all time high (I won't say how bad it was) but as I told Ronnie, it's still cheaper than replacing sod which we've had to do the last 2 years. So we will not complain.


4 comments:

  1. Barb: I hope you got yourselves some Belgian Chocolates. Things look pretty expensive there. I love those decorations too...they remind me of the Windcatchers Native Americans make in AZ and NM.
    Tell Ronnie one of my old Compaq friends from Munich and Houston is now an exec at NATO. Manfred Dehmer is his name. Speaking of Ronnie...I had no idea he had such wavy hair! That's the longest I've ever seen it !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bobbin lace is gorgeous! Wonder how long it would take to learn that skill? {A.N.}

      Delete
    2. A lot longer than I've got!!! lol! Many years ago I saw a lady who was making bookmarks with this technique (Switzerland, maybe)? I don't remember how much they were but I bought some so I'm sure they were very reasonable. However, that was decades ago!!

      Delete
  2. Barbara, he does have wavy hair if it gets a chance to get long, but he needs a haircut badly!! He's tried a couple of times on this trip but it hasn't worked out. I'm desperate for one too but trying to hold out until I can get to my regular gal. I will pass that info along to him.

    ReplyDelete