Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Tala Game Reserve - Durban, South Africa

I just realized that I didn't mention our time in Durban, South Africa. That was actually in the afternoon on Easter Sunday. I was super disappointed because we didn't get to attend a local worship service Sunday morning. Ronnie was up in time to attend the sunrise service on the ship, which he said was very good. I ordered a room service breakfast so that I would have time to shower, wash my hair and get off the ship in time to attend a service downtown. 

We had figured out where we wanted to go; however I had been warned by someone who lives in Durban (actually a friend of a friend who is a missionary there) about being careful if in the city - don't wear nice jewelry, carry cash, be sure to wear a cross-body purse and keep my hand over it, etc. I try to do these things anyway when I'm out and have been duly warned. Anyway, as I was getting ready, our cruise director came on over the loud speaker and told us that if we planned to get off the ship, to only use only taxis within the port authority and not to use a cab in the city. He repeated it again so that we all got the message. We discussed it and knew we could get downtown safely but figured we would have to use a cab from the city to bring us back to the port. After some deliberation, we decided not to go. As disappointed as I was, I heard today that one couple from the ship didn't heed the warning and were accosted. I didn't hear details, but apparently they were ok, even if shaken up. 

That afternoon, we had another excursion booked for the Tala Game Reserve. It was similar to the one the previous day (Botlierskop) but in a different location. We questioned whether we should have booked a second one since we had seen 4 of the African "Big 5" animals the previous day. It was too late to cancel so we went ahead. We still didn't get to see a leopard but we did see some different animals and were much closer to the giraffes than the previous day, thus more pictures of them. 

The vehicles were older and again, the ride was really rough. Also we couldn't hear our guide too well, but all in all it went well. I'll share my favorites from the day.

 

Insignia in background


Welcome - Nelson Mandela Cruise Terminal

 

Zebras fight when they mate, biting each other and sometimes biting the others tails off!

 

zebra sans tail


nice pose

giraffe spotting - cameras up!

 
4 of them! (male is darker one in front)


springbok


2 tons each!


posing for me in the tall grass


the iconic African Acacia



mother zebra grooming her foal?


on high alert


regal pose


here's looking at you


male feeding on right






4 comments:

  1. Bharberts: So sorry you did not get to be at the Easter service. Maybe you can celebrate GK Orthofix Easter this weekend ! These photos remind me how God loves diverse landscapes, creatures, people. We are like birds..we flock to the familiar, keeping nests in the same places year after year, going to sane vacation places. It is an effort sometimes to love what God loves. I know you and Ronnie have been great models to us of Christians who are not on "repeat". You really put yourselves and your faith out there, and we who are interested can see through your camera lens and keen eyes. I'm sure Henry is the most thrilled of all, and missing you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara! Do you mean Greek Orthodox Easter? I don't know that that would be possible, but at least I was able to celebrate it in my heart (just missed being able to worship and celebrate the resurrection with other believers).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of the most natural and magnificent pictures of God’s animal world. I’ve always said that God is not boring…He could have made just elephants, etc, but made so many diverse and exciting to behold creatures! What a mighty God we serve.
    And some of my grands sent me a late Happy Easter, but I told them they were not late. I was thinking we celebrate Easter in our hearts every day….Jesus’ victory over death that He won for us! Rejoice! Continuing to pray for your safety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree, Karen! His creativity has no limits! And when you look at some of his creation (I'm thinking of some "critters" both on land and in the sea) you have to almost laugh out loud. And I also agree that we can celebrate Jesus' resurrection every day! Thanks for your prayers for our safety - they are much appreciated!

      Delete