Sunday, April 16, 2023

A glimpse of Nosy Be, Madagascar - pt 1

Nosy Be (means “big island”) is an island off the northwest coast of Madagascar. It is Madagascar’s largest and busiest tourist location. It has been given several nicknames over the years including “Nosy Manitra” (the scented island).

Like Mayotte the day before, it was a very hot and humid day. We were hopeful that at least our drive time would be inside an air conditioned bus, but when we arrived we were directed to a small bus - windows down and no shocks. The only seats left were above the back wheel well. Add to that the many unpaved roads and the paved roads with LOTS of pot holes and perhaps you can get the idea. But except for the discomfort from the heat and the rough bus ride, it was a good and interesting day.

 

these ladies greeted us at the tender point

 

 

Our first ride was perhaps only 15-20 minutes to a ylang distillery and Lemur Land. We were told that ylang ylang (in Chinese) means “flower of flowers.” In English, it means “perfume tree.” The oil of the flower is used to make perfume, namely Chanel No. 5. We were taken into the distillery where we saw equipment that extracts and processes the oil from the ylang ylang blossoms. Steam distillation removes the essential oil from the plant. After a walk through and brief explanation, we were given time in the gift shop. I asked one of the sales girls if I could take her photo. Neither of us spoke the other’s language but she understood what I was asking and rubbed her fingers together. So I gave her an American dollar, and she allowed me to take 3 photos, one of each side of her face and the other with her friend (mother?) who was standing nearby. She was happy and so was I.

 

ylang ylang tree trunks are very gnarly and twisted


ylang ylang blossom from which oil is extracted

From there, we walked into the nearby forested area where we saw lemurs climbing and jumping from tree to tree, crocodiles and other varieties of reptiles along with large turtles. Our guide pointed out ylang ylang trees and flowers along with papayas and breadfruit growing in the trees.

 

used in the distillery process


copper vats


did you know that pepper is used in making perfume?


ingredients and concentrations

 

sales girl with facial designs

who, me?


one of many lemurs


I've got my eye on you (one of them, anyway)


chameleon - up close


breadfruit


papayas

banana trees are EVERYWHERE

 

bamboo groves (Ronnie in lower left)

After loading back up, we were driven for about an hour and 15 minutes (although it seemed much longer) on very rough roads to Andilana beach. It was probably 2:30 p.m. by the time we arrived. No one had had lunch so we were served what I’m guessing were traditional snacks and soft drinks. (cont. in pt 2)

2 comments:

  1. Bharberts: This was an amazing day! My Mom wore Chanel #5. To this day, if I get a whiff from someone, I can see her putting it on at her dresser-she is so young in that memory! The lemurs are beautiful animals. I wonder at their gracefulness. The bamboo forest made Ronnie look like a child! The face of the woman with her decoration (is it like a white henna?) is astounding. You have a gift a capturing the soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was - I couldn't stop clicking! But we were pretty beat from the heat and even I didn't get off at the last market (not pictured). The face paint patterns reminds me of henna but it doesn't appear to be a stain but more of a white chalky paint. Perhaps the same stuff that some of them just rub on, except painted or stenciled in place. I probably need to lighten the photos of the two women on the beach (they appear darker than in person) but I'm too lazy to do that tonight. We're now 9 hours ahead and I should be asleep right now! Thanks for your comments (isn't it funny how scents can provoke specific memories - yours a good one!)

      Delete