Sunday, April 16, 2023

A glimpse of Nosy Be, Madagascar - pt 3

On the way back, we were taken to a market. I will post photos of some of the products being sold. Vendors of course don’t take credit cards but they will accept American dollars. We had very little cash so I ended up buying a couple of trinkets to be used as Christmas ornaments and some vanilla beans. It was Madagascar, after all! 

 

vendors inside, vendors outside

outside citrus vendor


this is the lady I bought the vanilla bean pods from

 

Funny but true story. I wanted some fresh vanilla beans but I only had $4 (ship could not change bills). Anyway, she wanted $5 for them (wish they had been wrapped in plastic, but they weren't). So everyone was sitting on the bus and our guide was getting antsy because he was trying to get us rounded up and out of there. I couldn't negotiate her down to $4 so I turned and went outside with the guide and got on the bus. Before the driver could pull off, she was sticking the vanilla beans through the bus window and gladly accepted my $4. 

 

shopping with Mom


these are called mud crabs (see why?)


dried fish


"just off the tree" banana delivery

There was one more market stop on the way back to the port, but by that time only about half of us even felt like getting off the bus. All in all, it was a very interesting and enjoyable day, minus the heat. Given where we are now, we expect it will continue to be like this or even higher temperatures with more humidity.

 

would you buy this musical instrument from me?


more dried fish


dried crawfish?


fresh produce

 

colorful peppercorns


tender coming to pick us up

For folks our age, cruising is without a doubt the least stressful way to travel. Everything is planned out for us in advance and we get to choose what we want to do without having to figure out any of the logistics. Seeing all these places is both fun and exciting. But…venturing off the ship to actually experience these things first hand (in less-than-ideal conditions) is not for people who don’t love travel or are unwilling or unable to handle some inconveniences. Just keepin’ it real!

 

and there's always one last chance to buy something!

 

One last photo - did I mention what a crummy vehicle we were riding in? Ronnie snapped this photo of some kid's graffiti on the back of the seat in front of him. We thought it was cute how the kid added the white facial paint designs on her forehead and cheeks. :)





2 comments:

  1. I loved shopping in Turkey, always trying to get a better price!
    Looks like you are getting to do a lot of fun shopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd think - but I'm always with Ronnie who is NOT a shopper! Plus I have to think about how I can get stuff home, so truthfully I have bought very little.

      Delete