Saturday, April 8, 2023

Cape Town, South Africa - day 3

We still needed to pick up a few items while we had the chance to buy stuff in normal stores, and I also wanted to get a much needed pedicure. Rather than Ronnie just hanging around waiting on me, I talked him into getting one too – his first (and likely his last) ever. Such an occasion. I took a picture but he probably wouldn't appreciate me posting it.

Afterwards, we went back to the mall so I could find a camera shop and replace the lens cap I lost on our first day here. We also needed a few things from the drug store but didn’t have much luck there. We wanted some Tylenol (apparently you can’t buy Tylenol in Africa). We ran into several others from the ship who were doing the same thing we were. One couple we know was looking for Nyquil and Benadryl but no luck. Ronnie and I both brought what we call our “stashes” with products that we regularly use because we learned during our time in Indonesia that you can’t just walk into a store and expect to find recognizable brands. I'll post some random pics below from walking in the mall and waterfront area to give you an idea of what a modern city Cape Town is. 

There are lots of artwork pieces made of miscellaneous metal materials (all recycled) as well as bronze and stone. Also there are large colorful paintings on buildings (not graffiti) that showcase the artistic aspect of the city.


iron elephant


colorful rhino


even cable spools are functional and artsy!


looks like a good space for a mural

walking out of the port terminal

a wall inside a building we cut through

I must say that we have no complaints about the ship food (although we could technically both be classified as somewhat picky eaters) because there is such a variety that one could never go hungry (in fact we have both gained weight). But it’s also nice to eat off the ship occasionally if you know that the food is “safe” and you're pretty sure your digestive system won’t regret it later. We cut through a building where there were all kinds of small food stalls and even a cooking class for kids. It was an interesting place. We saw some folks from the ship eating at one eateries called Charms Kitchen and decided we'd give it a go. It was quite spicy but actually tasted good. Even Ronnie liked what he got.

 

Victoria & Alfred Waterfront - Entrance 4


one of several photo ops along the waterfront


beautiful boats, yachts, restaurants and shops


hanging bridge


even the steps are colorful!

Charm's Kitchen at Makers Landing - fresh squeezed sugar cane


I had the tandoori chicken - good but very spicy!


https://www.makerslanding.co.za/make

 

Sometimes a "themed" dinner is served on the ship and last night it was South African Cuisine. I’m going to post the menus to give you an idea. Besides the standard steaks, shrimp and lobster, there were meat offerings of ostrich, springbok and crocodile. I can’t remember what Ronnie had (none of those) but those things didn't sound appealing to me so I defaulted to a salad and some penne pasta with tomato sauce. I'll post the menus kind of large so that hopefully you can read the chef's offerings last evening.

 


 

 


We both enjoyed Cape Town and of course I took lots of photos. Hopefully together they give you a small "taste" of what Cape Town, South Africa is like. On second thought, I'll end this post on a "sweet note." One of the shops at this unique place is a chocolate shop.

 

yum yum!


chocolate makers at work

 

We enjoyed being in a large, modern city but it's time to move on. In the photo below, the tug is on its way to guide us out of the harbor so we can set sail for Mossel Bay. We'll soon be sailing into the Indian Ocean. There was a whale feeding in the bay but I wasn't quick enough with my camera to get anything except his fluke.


tug coming to lead us out of harbor


leaving Mossel Bay (can you spot the whale fluke?)



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment