Thursday, January 19, 2023

Just call me Goldilocks

Wednesday a.m. - As some of you know, I’ve had back “issues” for years and it’s hard for me to find a mattress that’s…. just right. One of the things that Oceania touts is their luxury bedding. But even with nice bedding, finding the correct amount of firmness is always going to be a challenge for me given my back situation. Unfortunately, the mattress wasn’t as firm as my poor back demands – it was too soft. So yesterday I asked if the ship had any “back boards” (basically just a thin sheet of plywood that can be placed beneath the mattress). I was pleasantly surprised to learn that they did indeed have them, and they were most accommodating to add one when they made up our room. 

These mattresses have a zipper about 3 inches below the top where these boards can be inserted. So while their efforts were much appreciated, they apparently also had the idea that eliminating the “comfort layer” on top would create even more firmness. So what we ended up with was a 3” layer of fabric on top of a sheet of plywood. You guessed it – too hard!

So I had the bright idea of asking them to flip the entire mattress, which leaves the board 3 inches from the box it sits on, vs 3 inches beneath my back. They were super accommodating to do this for me. My hope and prayer is that tonight it will be….just right!! I’ll report on this in the morning.

Thursday a.m. - We both slept like logs again last night and didn't wake up until our breakfast arrived! I didn't get up even once during the night, and I didn't wake up saying "oh, my aching back!" Additionally, something about the gentle vibration or movement of the ship seems to knock me right out. I can see why babies love being rocked to sleep - it's very soothing. And so far, so good on the mattress situation - yes!! 

PS If you've ever had back issues then you understand completely what all the fuss is about. Keeping my fingers crossed...

7 comments:

  1. Well Ms Goldilocks- glad you didn’t wake up to 3 bears😳❤️
    Truly glad you were able to rest- can’t enjoy anything if you are tired!
    You probably gave them a much needed solution for other passengers.
    Way to go, karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too - lol! I think our cabin stewardess was somewhat doubtful because she seemed surprised and happy this morning when I told her it worked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to read what you are doing each day. Praying all goes well. We have had much excitement around the apartments and I am not kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you take your own pillow?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you didn't mind; I gave Dot Peterson your blog site address. SS

    ReplyDelete