Saturday, March 31, 2012

so many bargains, so little room


The biggest thing Bandung has going for it besides its mild weather is its outlet shopping. Believe it or not, Bandung is well known in West Java as home to about 40 outlets. Many shoppers (mostly from Jakarta) flock to Bandung each weekend. They come by the busload. Their arrival turns the stores into a total zoo and creates a very noticeable effect on traffic, so much so that it's best to avoid trying to go to certain areas on the weekend.



The Heritage

There are many major clothing manufacturers in Indonesia. Chances are good that you have clothes in your closet that were made here. These outlet clothes are not seconds (that I can tell) and they aren't ripped or dirty. I have no idea why they are sold at these prices unless they are manufacturers overruns.




Of course Bandung has more than its share of knock offs too, but if you go to the nicer outlets such as the one where I snapped these photos they are the actual clothes made by the actual manufacturers. The prices are ridiculously low. Or should I say that the prices for the exact same items in the states are ridiculously high. I think probably both of those statements are equally true. Clothing (even the "good" brands) are made with cheap labor and the prices you pay here reflect that. Also, it costs money to ship things half way around the world. And last but not least, the nicer department stores with the higher overheads are simply going to mark things up to make their profits.



Juicy Couture



Since I'm not really a "brand person" it's a little hard to impress me, but even being a shopper of necessity, there are certain brands that I at least recognize as names generally associated with quality. Awhile back, I snapped some photos with my cell phone of brands that I recognized.






You might think I'd be excited about all this. The most frustrating part of it is that I have absolutely no room in my luggage to bring anything else back! On the way over, we were allowed 2 (50 lb) bags each on Continental. Our return tickets are on Delta who recently passed a new rule that allows only one bag per passenger with a fee of $70 each on the second bag. UGH!!



Calvin Klein



Certain streets in Bandung could be considered "outlet row" as you can walk to one outlet after another. Some are nicer than others but the one nearest us (Rumah Mode) is probably one of the best. It may be a tad pricier than some because it is a very nice complex and offers a better shopping experience. It has a store for purses and shoes, a restaurant, attractive landscaping with water gardens and benches for dads to watch kids while the wives/mothers shop.



lots of Ralph Lauren
Armani Exchange



I've never been much of a shopper, and Ronnie hates shopping even more than I do, so we haven't really bought ourselves much of anything. He does need more clothes and I would love to take some things to Henry, as he is growing so fast! But it looks like I will be leaving all these bargains behind. But for the record, I'd rather be at home overpaying than in Bandung getting the bargains!

Ann Taylor



In some of the outlet clothes, the tag is marked through (though you can still read it) and in others it is clipped. I suppose this is the manufacturer's way of making sure these items don't end up back in retail? I've been told that this is an indication that the item is the "real deal" and not a knock off.



bought these ties for Ronnie  - $4US each



Ralph Lauren Polo shirts for boys - approximately $8US



Guess is popular here
Nike anyone?



Tommy Hilfiger


It's easy to see why Bandung is such a popular weekend destination. It is truly a bargain shopper's paradise!








1 comment: