Friday, March 16, 2012

Cycling in Hanoi - Part 2

Since I took so many photos today, I'm going to divide them into separate posts, although these were still part of the same bicycle tour. Besides having too many for one post, we leave early in the morning for a cruise up Halong Bay on a Chinese junk. That should be interesting, but I seriously doubt we'll have internet connection, so I'm posting a couple of days ahead.  Side note: Ronnie's talk went very well today and the conference officially ended this afternoon.



now THIS is a humble home
As I mentioned in my previous post, we visited the home of 2 older women. Their livelihood is growing some type of root that is used for jamu (medicine made from herbs). Our guide couldn't tell us what it is called, nor did the ladies know how it is used. All they know is that if they grow it, someone buys it.


Some Vietnamese people (like the lady carrying the child in the last post) do not want their photo taken. She didn't see me on the first one. Later we stopped and our guide talked with her awhile (in Vietnamese) and I asked him to ask her if she would let me take her photo. She said no, so that was that. However, the women below were fine and dandy with having their photo taken. When we left, our guide gave them a bag of popcorn and some money. Anne who was with me had money with her and handed the lady a few US bills when we left. Our guide kind of scolded her afterwards, saying they would begin to expect it every time. So sad.



a smile to welcome strangers






building support base beneath basket for drying roots




see smoke coming from beneath bamboo container





welcome to our humble abode





















dirt floor, homemade bed, no mattress















roots drying in baskets, recently cut bananas



kitchen
 
 

older Vietnamese woman


No comments:

Post a Comment