Thursday, March 29, 2012

People Along the Way

Today's post consists of a few "people photos" I've taken this past week. I'll post them with a little bit of explanation for each one.

The sweet lady below was sitting outside her home/store front on the highway to Lembang. She seemed fine with us wanting to take photos of the tea plantation from the property beside her home. In fact, she followed us (curiosity maybe?)  I indicated that I would like to take her photo. After the first click of the shutter, she broke into a big grin. I didn't want to embarrass her so I turned back to photographing the tea field. When we left, I asked Ferry if I should give her a little money. He thought it was a good idea but the only change I had was so small it would have been insulting. Finally we scratched up a little parking money to go with it (it maybe added up to 50 cents) and Ferry took it to her. She seemed thrilled and told him that she would pray for us.



older lady in Lembang



The older gentleman below is one of many people who sell produce along the highway. He sold us 3 pineapples for 20,000 rph (approximately 72 cents each). He was pleased as punch with the deal he made (and so were we).



pineapple man



The children below were playing at a roadside stand where sate was sold. Obviously, their mother was working while the kids entertained themselves. I really didn't stop to get permission on this one - just saw them as I was walking by, thought they were cute and grabbed 2-3 shots.



friends? siblings? playmates!



The little girl below found herself a baby chick. She was holding it like a hot dog while the poor little thing "cheeped" for its life. I have a feeling this is one "pet" that isn't going to last very long! The little girl knew I was taking her photo and was quite bashful, putting her hand over her mouth and looking at me like she'd seen a ghost right after I took this.



a girl and her chick



A local radio station is celebrating its 20 anniversary this week. Ferry and I got out of the car so that I could photograph some high school kids dancing at an intersection. Unfortunately, by the time we parked and walked down there, it was over and traffic was flowing again. Several young people with body paint and costumes were advertising different businesses. The young man below didn't seem too happy to be there.



couldn't get a smile out of this guy




little boy at busy intersection
selling sticky glue for rat traps



I am continually amazed at how, generally speaking, Indonesians don't seem to mind having their photo taken. I'm not sure why that is, but it sure makes photographing them a more pleasant experience. I hope you enjoy seeing more faces of everyday Indonesians as they work and play.

interrupting a game of chess



selling batik at Pasar Baru

No comments:

Post a Comment