Wednesday, August 17, 2011

To Laundry or Not to Laundry?


Ronnie looking perplexed
That truly is the question! I try not to take my blessings for granted. Really I do. But it took less than 24 hours for me to realize that I do take my washer and dryer for granted. I take it for granted that I can put dirty clothes into a machine, have hot (or warm or cold) water come in, agitate them in soap and fabric softener, rinse them, spin them and then spit them out all clean and fresh smelling. I also take it for granted that I can just throw them in a dryer and go about my business while they are tumbling into a dry, clean, fresh pile of laundry. Lord, please forgive me for having taken this for granted.

As soon as we moved into the apartment, my "cleaning service" (who turned out to be a young boy - Wawon) showed me how to use the washing machine. Since he doesn't speak any English and I don't speak Bahasa, this took some doing. Eventually I figured out that I had to put my clothes into the left side of the machine. To get water into the machine, I needed to turn on the hose on the outside of the machine. Good thing I only wash in cold since any other temp is not an option. Next step - add soap and turn a different knob to agitate the clothes. After watching them agitate awhile, I must turn the hose on the outside of the machine off, then turn another knob to allow the water to drain from the tub. Check. Then turn the knob on the hose back on and allow water to fill up the tub again. Turn knob to agitate clothes. Then turn knob on hose off again and turn the other knob to allow the water to drain out. Clothes still soapy? Of course they are. So I need to repeat steps above, however many times it takes or until I give up, whichever comes first. Once I have given up on removing all soap from clothes, I turn the knob on hose again and allow water to drain from tub). Next I remove clothes and put them into the right side of the washing machine and turn knob to let them spin. Repeat this procedure another time or two or three. Then hang them on the porch to dry. After they dry, give them the "sniff test". They stink! I finally decide to call up a laundry service and have them pick up the laundry. Four days later they are returned in good shape - for 25,000 rupiah - approx $3US including pick up and delivery?!  Uh, buh bye, washer!

they bring a scale and weight the clothes
dirty laundry leaving on motorcycle

No comments:

Post a Comment