Saturday, August 20, 2011

Bleach is my new best friend.

wash, rinse, rinse
I hate bleach. I'm allergic to it and I have always avoided it at all costs. I even go out of my way to avoid the pool supply section in the grocery store. Bleach gives me a terrible headache if I even get near it. But I'm being forced to re-consider my position on bleach. Dingy, foul smelling clothes need bleach. Water that is not potable needs it as well. Come to think of it, just about everything around here needs bleach.


Washing dishes, clothes and even our hands has become something we can't just do without thought anymore. For example, the other night Ronnie wanted to eat a carrot. We had bought a veggie cleaning solution at the store, but he scraped the carrot without remembering to use it. Then he had to figure out how to wash the carrot off since we can’t just use sink water. So we finally decided to put water from our 5 gallon container (which is what we will drink and cook with) in a bowl and wash the carrot off in that. Things we never give a thought to at home now have to be executed in steps.
and this is the large size frig!


We're finally getting this thing figured out. Boiled water with soap for the first wash of the dishes. Bottled water with bleach for the rinsing bath. Then a third container of plain bottled water to rinse the water with bleach off. I do miss my dishwasher and clean water at the kitchen sink. And while I'm whining, I miss my garbage disposal and oven too.

My attitude has somewhat improved since my sister told me to think of it like camping but with the amenities of electricity and flush toilet. Sometimes we just need to tweak our perspective a bit...

But who would have ever thought that bleach would be my new best friend??

2 comments:

  1. Splashed bleach has already ruined a new pair of dark colored shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But bleach keeps the "tummy bugs" away so indeed it is the BEST friend ever!!'. I've loved all fotos and your comments - brought back so many memories. I know it's different and at times hard but you are making many memories yourself that one day you'll look back on lovingly on. Make lots of friends. They last a lifetime! Best regards to our old friends you've already met there! Luv Marlene

    ReplyDelete