Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Morning Walk

good friends
So far we haven't found a gym to join so it looks like Ronnie will be running and swimming and Ronnie at ITB. So what little exercise I'm getting at this point (beyond general walking when we go out) is walking up and down the street behind the apartments. I haven't been brave enough to venture more than 2 or 3 streets away at this point, because I hate to think what would happen if I got myself lost! Between having no sense of direction and not knowing Bahasa, I might really be gone a long time!!

cute threesome
Anyway, I'll share a few photos from a recent morning walk. As I said in an earlier post, people here are generally friendly (particularly the women and children, and especially if I make eye contact and speak first). I had been told that Indonesians usually do not get upset at having their picture taken. It's not easy to be real discreet with a DSLR camera hanging over my shoulder but I try to be as unobtrusive as possible and always use some general sign language to see if they mind my taking their photo. Most people are ok with it and they like it when I show them their image on the back of the camera. According to what I've been told, they do not expect any money in return for allowing you to take their photo as is the case in some places.

street vendor

People photography is fairly difficult because you either have to do it without permission (in which case you feel somewhat voyeuristic) or either you have to be outgoing enough to interact with perfect strangers. Of course children are the easiest to interact with, but if there are parents present they must be asked first. Anyway, I hope you enjoy seeing some of the people I've run across while walking in the neighborhood.

washing rocks
older Indonesian lady









No comments:

Post a Comment