Sunday, April 29, 2012

Today's Favorites

Each day as I'm out and about, I'm snapping photos and it's always exciting to get back to the apartment and upload them and see what I have. As is often the case, all of today's (with exception of horse and shoe repairman) were taken from the back seat of our moving car. Thankfully, the traffic often slows us enough that I can grab shots through the window as we pass. Of course I miss more shots than I actually get and that can be frustrating. But still I try. The opportunity to take so many "people photos" is one thing I will actually miss about Indonesia.



a most friendly pair



This man and woman were waiting by the road when we pulled out of the grocery store parking lot. I snapped this before they saw me. When he did turn and make eye contact, I waved and he bowed (hands together, head forward) twice. I'm not exactly sure what it means but I do it back. What I really wanted to do was take their photo as they both looked toward me, but I didn't want to offend them. As we drove off, I was disappointed I didn't get the shot I really wanted.




riding lions?



Today as we were driving up to meet our friends Helen and Dan for lunch, we passed these kids on the side of the road. They were playing on and "riding" some stuffed lions. Turns out, these lions (carried on poles) rest atop dancers shoulders while music plays and the kids ride atop the lions. The costumed dancers were resting when we passed by. Ferry said that it was part of a wedding celebration. On the way back they were already loaded up to leave. Another photo op....missed.



an example of "how many does it take?"



It's common to see entire families riding on one scooter. The kids are always scrunched between the parents. If there are 5, then a 3 year old can ride in front of the driver (standing) and the other kids are sandwiched between the parents. The mother always holds the infant in her arms.



daughter sandwich



The men below are day laborers. They wait with their baskets (right) and tools, hoping for someone to come along and hire them to do a job.



ready for hire



Several horses trotted by as I was waiting in front of the barber shop for Ronnie to get another 76 cent haircut. Horses and riders gather where children can be found to offer rides. According to Ferry, it costs 20,000 rupiah (close to $2 US) for a ride around the park. To prevent the horses from pooping in the street, inner tubes attached to their tails do the trick - pretty ingenious!



is this a small horse? or is it just me?



sign in Lantera - tarot, tofu, chicken, rice



view from my window seat in the restaurant



foot traffic on street that runs off Dago



I'm always amazed at the things people do for a living. Many of the street sellers carry their wares by balancing a wooden pole across the shoulder and carrying produce or what-have-you in baskets or cooking containers. The man pictured below is a shoe re-soler. If you need new soles, he can replace them while you wait. Many people here re-sole shoes for a living. Some are mobile as this man is, and others set up "shop" in a public park or somewhere other re-solers congregate. I found a story about a shoe resoler in Jakarta to give you some idea of how difficult it is to make a living doing this.

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/city/my-jakarta-pak-yunus-shoe-resoler/330243



got soles?



 little girls sitting roadside as we chugged up the hill today


The 2 below were also taken from the car - I like color!



some kind of fruity drinks



chicken porridge

No comments:

Post a Comment