Monday, April 9, 2012

Jakarta - City of Contrasts (Pt 2)



what is it about me that makes some people react this way?
Saturday afternoon we decided to walk around the city a bit. Lest you get the idea that all of Jakarta looks like the photos in my previous post, let me say that only a few blocks away from those huge high rises, Jakarta isn't all that different from Bandung. Everyday Indonesians live and make their living in the shadows of the penthouses. Not everyone shops at the malls I talked about. And really that is no different than any other city, even those in the US.



woman selling on sidewalk - have no idea
Though we see more women without heads covered in Jakarta, we are still the rare Caucasian and we stick out like sore thumbs. We attract attention by just being. Then let me pull out my camera and snap a few photos and I’m the object of everyone's attention within shouting distance. I feel like a freak in a sideshow. It’s the lack of pigment in my skin, it’s my age, it’s my ethnicity and it's my overall appearance. Kermit the Frog says it's not easy being green. It's sometimes not that easy being white either. Sigh…



friendly food vendor
A walk down one street of a busy market in Jakarta was similar to doing the same in Bandung, although one can actually walk on the sidewalks whereas in Bandung, the merchandise covers both sides of the walk, leaving only a narrow footpath down the middle. Of course there are pathetic beggars (old, blind or minus anywhere from 1-4 limbs), hawkers and food vendors - all typical of an Indonesian market place. Sometimes it is heart wrenching and other times I chide myself for being able to see that without bursting into tears. The majority of people, however, are either selling or buying food or merchandise. And all, and I do mean ALL, are staring at the bule.



merchant selling hair extensions (yes, it felt like real hair)



need shoes? need bag? prices are negotiable!

woman scavenging through trash - a common sight

knock off perfume

There is no shortage of knock offs in Indonesia. Knock off perfume businesses are commonly seen here. I'm told that some are good and others not so good.

What's your favorite scent? You name it - they have it! And the price is right.

I snapped these kids riding in a horse drawn carriage as we passed them in the car.


No comments:

Post a Comment