Thursday, April 19, 2012

A Look Back

The countdown is on!! 19 more days in Bandung, 8 days in Lombok and then it's Texas or Bust!! It’s all I can do not to begin packing! The only thing that keeps me from it is my fear that stuff will mold in a packed bag. And I still need a lot of it. So…I wait... a little longer. 

Today as I was cleaning out a cabinet, I found a journal that I started the week we arrived.  Like every other trip journal I've ever started, it lasted only about 5 days before I forgot about it. Anyway, I read what I had written of our experiences and first impressions of Indonesia and decided to share them here. It's hard to believe it's not even been 9 months since we arrived (has it only been that long?) My notes are somewhat rough; please excuse.


Monday, August 9, 2011 – Jakarta, Indonesia

We arrived at our hotel exhausted almost 40 hours after leaving our home in Houston. No AC in the room but it finally cooled enough that we were able to sleep, despite the soggy bed and noise from street below. We woke this morning as the street noises increased. Before rising, Ronnie made a profound observation - we aren't in Kansas anymore. How right he is. Besides being stuck in a stuffy, cramped room, we would just feel better if we had phones that worked or internet service. Being so far away and out of touch is a very isolating feeling.


Tuesday, August 10, 2011

AMINEF employee Terab picked us up in a cab and took us to the research place, then the police station. Long cab drives, long waits, sweating and carrying heavy backpacks while trying not to get run over. Afterwards he took us to the electronic store for cell phones and adapters. It’s been a miserable day – at 2:30 we hadn’t had so much as a drink of water, much less lunch, so Ronnie finally asked him “don’t you eat?” Turns out, he is Muslim (of course) and is fasting for Ramadan. Oops! Our first cultural offense – but we needed water! He didn’t seem upset – nice, smart kid, horrible body odor! It has been very frustrating without internet or phones since our arrival and we are both desperate to log on and communicate with our family. Will return to both these places again tomorrow for signed letter and proper documentation.

Moved to different hotel (things are lookin’ up!) – much less cramped and with an internet connection. No hot water, no wash rags and water is not potable, but overall a huge improvement! Went to a very nice mall and ate Japanese tempura after not eating all day. (We quickly realized it would be rude to eat in front of a person who is fasting.) This may be a long week...

 
Wednesday, August 11, 2011

Ronnie was sicker than a dog during the night. Diarrhea all night and I was nauseated but thankfully we are both better today (the tempura?) Ronnie had milk and juice and fessed up that he made coffee from the tap water - a huge No No. Today it was back to research place (letter not ready), then to the police station (letter not ready). Frustrating morning so back to the hotel. Each time we enter the hotel parking lot, guards run a mirror around the underside of the car to check for bombs.

We also noted employees watching cooking shows in both government offices we visited – everyone was sitting around watching food being cooked as they fast for Ramadan. Paperwork finally ready and we leave for the 3.5 hour drive to Bandung.

(Pt 2 tomorrow)

2 comments:

  1. That really was a very rough beginning. You were BOTH so brave to take the post in Bandung. I have really appreciated you sharing your impressions and experiences. Not sure many could survive like you and Ronnie have. You truly have made the best of all circumstances. The food, water, language, transportation, sanitation, housing issues you have faced would send almost all Americans running back home. I think your Faith pulled you through and opened your eyes to enjoy the cultural differences and share such fascinating stories with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Linda! However, you know from reading this blog that I have done my share of whining!! I have always tried not to take our blessings for granted, but I have discovered since being here that I have taken plenty of them for granted, things I never even gave a thought to. One of my worst gripes at home is having to go to Walmart. Now I CAN'T WAIT to shop in Walmart!! HAHAHA

    ReplyDelete