Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Strollin’ da Hood

had your veggies today?



A walk in the neighborhood never fails to yield photo ops. Today’s walk was no different. I am not brave enough to venture more than a mile or so from our apartment, but I'll take you with me on my walk today.




Per Google translate - Sekolah Calon Perwira Angkatan Darat is “Army Officer Candidate School.”

Sekolah Calon Perwira Angkatan Darat
After locking up the apartment and hiding the key, I exit through the heavy gate of De Hill Villa and head up the alley, keeping close to the side of the road to avoid being hit by a scooter or car. I speak to the nice man in the guard hut on the left saying “Selamat Pagi” (good morning) and continue past the primitive wooden bench that serves as our taxi stand across from the alley warung. That's about the extent of my Bahasa.


A man has his produce spread out on the ground and I say “halo," then continue on up the hill and around the corner, passing the military training base, where an unfriendly guard stands duty. I yield right and continue down the hill where two little boys are sitting on the curb and I speak to them as well. By their giggling and reaction to me, I suspect that they want me to take their photo. I offer and they very happily oblige. In fact they would have been up for an entire session but I just snap a few and walk on. (On the way back, they have collected another friend, so I snap the smiling little hams again.)

3 little hams









you need it? we got it!
                                                                               

A few yards further up is a small warung with several locals out in front. I snap a photo of a man selling veggies, along with another couple of food vendors on the street. A woman is preparing food inside a tiny structure (maybe 2x4 ft) that appears to be attached to the side, doubling as both kitchen and store front.

neighborhood veggie salesman

whatizit?


portable food cart
The majority of these tiny food carts (below) are on wheels and they are extremely common, dotting every sidewalk in the city. I’m not sure yet what they are called ....maybe meals on wheels? Small warungs are also seen along every street, and this one is no different. I speak to the man in the orange pants and shirt and he begins to talk to me as well, but soon realizes I don’t understand Bahasa. I recognize an older lady whose photo I had taken on an earlier walk. She is peeling garlic with a little girl (her
granddaughter?) The mother is engaged in food
preparation inside the tiny “kitchen” but I ask permission to snap a photo of the little girl helping her grandmother. The mother smiles and I take that as a “yes” so I quickly snap one photo before the little girl starts throwing a hissy fit! I apologize to the man in orange (her father?) and he is gracious, but I can still hear her screaming when I reach the end of the block! You would have thought she had been shot! I suppose every country has its drama queens….


peeling garlic


When I head back down the alley, two boys are playing on the "playground" - the filthy corner lot that is home to two tree swings. They are friendly and let me snap a few photos before I head on back to the apartment. The wild cat eating out of the trash is sadly a very common sight.



little brother swinging
beautiful little boy
wild cats survive out of trash

2 comments:

  1. I loved taking a walk with you! Gives me a little feel for your daily adventures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That kitty really needs a good home, steady meals, medical care... (He has a wild look in his eyes!) Looks like an interesting walk!

    ReplyDelete