Sunday, September 25, 2011

Saya Bisa Tidak Berbahasa Indonesia

Grace and Yessy working with Ronnie

We started language lessons this week. Frankly, I don't think my attitude is right for me to learn a language. For one thing, I don't feel the pressure to use Bahasa that Ronnie does. He is, after all, the one who is in the working world coming into personal contact with many Indonesians daily. That's part of it. Another part is that I'm either too undisciplined (lazy) to make myself or I'm afraid I just flat won't be able to learn a language at 62.5 years of age. Those are my excuses. Whether they are valid or not, I don't know. I'm just being honest about the way I feel.

easy breezy?

Two tutors, 448 flash cards, books and computer program aside, I still don't find myself properly motivated. What is wrong with me?? I will say that if I was going to be here permanently, I'd know my procrastination is futile and I'd get with it. But hey, I'm 1/5 of the way through already!



To  make me feel worse, everyone says what an easy language Bahasa is to learn. Well, maybe for SOME people who have a good ear for sound and are naturally good with languages, that may be true. And maybe compared to certain other languages, it again may be true. But for this old gal from Texas, it doesn't feel like it's going to be easy. So while I don't aspire to learn the language, I do aspire to learn enough to be able to have simple exchanges with local people. So I suppose that should be my goal.


BYKI computer program
But in case anyone reading this thinks they might want to learn, let me just say that a simple greeting (in Texas that would be "hi") can take many forms in Bahasa, depending on what time of the day you say it.

Selamat pagi – morning until 11am

Selamat siang – 11am to 3pm

Selamat sole – 3pm to nightfall

Selamat malam – good evening

Selamat tidur – good night

See why I like English? "Howdy" works at any time of the day or night!

But there are a few phrases that I will definitely want to learn. Say them with me.

Berapa harganya? (How much does it cost?)
Terlalu mahal! (Too expensive!)
Saya mau beli ini. (I want to buy this.)

Are YOU sufficiently motivated? If so, I'll be happy to let you borrow my language materials when I return!

in a flash?!

No comments:

Post a Comment