Friday, September 2, 2011

Kidz R Kidz

hijab with rabbit ears?
having fun on a primitive looking see saw

As you have no doubt noticed, I love taking photos and it's especially fun taking photos of children. Children (particularly the younger ones) never try to pose and they will allow me to photograph them while they continue to do whatever it is they're doing. Indonesian kids are no different from any others in that regard. Some are a little leery of me and my camera (probably more so of me than the camera) and therefore will act a little stand-offish or shy. Others, when they see that I'm friendly, delight in letting me take their photo. As soon as I take the first one, I usually let them see themselves on the monitor on the back of my camera. They all gather around to see it, not only that one but every other one I take! Some of them really get into it and start hamming up. As in China, many people (adults and children alike) like to give the "V" sign when their pictures are taken. In China (2008), we thought it was because they were so proud of their performance in the Olympics. I have no idea why they do it here. Perhaps someone can clue me in?


coloring on the curb
Kids often play on the dirty and litter strewn corner where we wait for our taxi (taksi). There are usually a few chickens pecking around as well. This play area is across the street from the "convenience store" seen in another post "Street Where We Live." The girls (above) were playing on a homemade see saw. There are also a couple of old tires that the kids play on, but this was the first time I have seen actual playground "equipment".


just hanging around

I've noticed that people here (as in China and perhaps other places) are very pleased when they see you admiring their children. They are very proud of them and willingly oblige if you ask to take their photo. It's nice if you can manage to include the parent because they are usually beaming with pride.

two little hams
2 year old holding sparkler on Idul Fitri
little brother
the little girl on right was wary of me
cute little girl on see saw

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Glad the parents are pleased with you and not upset. :/

    I did a quick Google of "why do asians give the peace sign" and multiple articles came back. Several theories, one dating back to WWII era. Maybe it's just kind of like "saying cheese" and goes with picture taking. :)

    ReplyDelete