Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Cycling in Ubud - Pt 2


One thing I didn't mention in the previous post is that we happened upon a Hindu priest's cremation ceremony as we passed through one of the villages. Now that's something you don't see every day! I will include a few photos from that, as well as a video that Ronnie took with his phone.

this is the group you hear playing in clip above
men sit on opposite side from women
priests do not have to wait to be cremated because they are considered holy

rice is spread to dry on side of road
everyone carries a load

rice paddy, Ubud

young rice in front
dogs and temples everywhere!

terraced rice field
women threshing the mature rice
understanding gov't regulated irrigation system
 
watching the world go by
cocoa beans drying - belong to man in photo above

And while I'm on the subject of rice paddies, our last day in Ubud we ate lunch at a neat place called Sari Organik (highly recommended on tripadvisor.com). The food was not what was unique about this place (although it was good) but rather the memorable thing about it was its location - in the middle of a rice paddy! The directions we found online were basically to look for a small sign (you have to look really hard to find it) in an approximate area and then head off down a path for about 3/4 mile through rice paddies until you come to the restaurant. We did not find it easily but we definitely made a memory. Below are some women we met on our trek through the rice paddy. I tried picking up one piece of the lava rock and it was too heavy for me to lift! I honestly don't know how their necks do it!

Sari Organik - we're on the right track!
women carrying lava rock - i couldn't even pick it up!
extremely heavy loads
woman gathering fire wood

obligatory photo
Ronnie at Sari Organik
mango, strawberry, pineapple, banana crepe
location, location, location!
field workers house
scarecrow - looks pretty scarey!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jan...I am now one of your 'followers'. What great pictures and stories...makes me want to get back to Bali and see what I missed, you can be my 'tripadvisor'. Keep posting and I will try to keep up:)

    ReplyDelete