Thursday, October 16, 2014

A Foggy Morning in Bibury


I've been waiting for a foggy morning without rain to drive back to Bibury (about 30 minutes on narrow, winding roads) to photograph Arlington Row. Until we came to the Cotswolds, I had never heard of Arlington Row, although I've had a large print of the scene hanging above the sofa in our bedroom for years.

When we first arrived here (and before we rented a car), we rode the bus through Bibury on the way to Cheltenham and I spotted a row of houses that were all joined together. I told Ronnie that it reminded me of the print on our bedroom wall. We went back later so that I could photograph it, and I was surprised to learn that it WAS the scene of our print and is called Arlington Row. I've since learned that a picture of Bibury is seen on the inside cover of all UK passports, making it the most photographed village, not only in the Cotswolds but in the world!

Yesterday morning we woke to fog, so we hopped in the car and drove over. Here is my last attempt at Arlington Row, along with a few other photos in the tiny village of Bibury.





Arlington Row in the background







view from bridge






Arlington Row






plants growing from rock fence






Swan Inn and other buildings covered in Virginia Creeper






love the many shades of Virginia Creeper against the stone






Swan Inn from bridge






park, hotel in background






beautiful vine covered cottage outside Bibury



 For more on Bibury, click here.


1 comment: