Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Sole City?


how do you pick one?

Bandung's got sole.  And lots of it. Maybe not the kind you're thinking of, but if you're in need of some new treads, I can tell you exactly where to go. The cobbler's street is Jalan Sukajadi and if you’re in need of a quick fix, this is the place you'll find it.



definitely not soled out

 A few days ago, I noticed that on one of my favorite (and most comfortable) pairs of shoes there was a spot that was coming unstitched. I’ve been wanting to grab a few shots of these tiny shoe hospitals for a while anyway, so it seemed like the perfect excuse to go. So today I had Dadang take me down to Sukajadi street so that I could get my shoe repaired. 

athletic shoes repaired here


cobblers have sole


Dadang had the idea to let him ask the price, since he too has figured out that I being Caucasian will have to pay several times the going rate. Since my Bahasa is pitiful, I was all for it and I used the time instead to snap a few quick photos. Before getting out of the car, I asked him how much he thought the repair would cost. He estimated maybe 5,000 rupiah (approximately 59 cents). I gave him a 5,000 rupiah bill and within 5 minutes he and my shoe were ready to go!


all kinds of sole





I didn’t bother to ask him for the change although who knows, there may have been some. Ha! Whatever, I feel quite certain he got the job done a lot cheaper than I could have!





an honest day's work

No comments:

Post a Comment