Sunday, November 27, 2011

Around Town

I'm posting a few random photos that I took as I was out and about in Bandung this past week. Even if there's nothing exciting going on, I usually do errands with Dadang at least some portion of each day. Since being here I've developed the habit of grabbing my camera whenever I leave the apartment. Not that I always use it, but if I don't have it I'll surely regret not having it with me.

Saddam?


I snapped the photo (right) because the guy sitting down reminded me of Saddam Hussein when US special forces pulled him out of his spider hole. Ok, this guy wasn't quite as dirty looking, but the resemblance was still uncanny.




I've tried to stop whining about our laundry situation, but to get you up to speed, we're now on our 4th laundry service and I'm hoping this can be the last. I've resigned that everything will probably need to be tossed when we return to the States, but if it just doesn't smell soured, I'll settle for that!! It's called....Simply Fresh. We'll see....


Simply Fresh? (upper right)




My friend Marcia told me that when new people come over to work with them, they typically take all their photos in the first year. She says the reason for this is that after you've been here awhile, everything becomes "normal" to you and you get to where you don't even see it. I'm sure that's true of most of us as we move around in our own neighborhoods to some extent. But so far, I am still noticing a lot of things and taking photos!


food vendor washing dishes on sidewalk - a common scene

















cock fighting below our balcony

















These photos are but small "slices" of Indonesian life. Hopefully they will give you an idea of the kinds of things I observe in and around the streets of Bandung. Perhaps it's because Indonesians live so differently than we do, I can't help but find them interesting!


we are constantly amazed at how they navigate intersections!



















scooter hauling flower board


Indonesians take their "nit picking" to a whole different level!

No comments:

Post a Comment