Saturday, November 19, 2011

More stuff I've learned...

I've learned that you can bake pies and biscuits in a toaster oven!

I've learned that products from the US can cost up to 5x's as much here.

I’ve learned that as many women as men ride scooters in Bandung.

I’ve learned that a man can put his arm around other man’s shoulders and women can walk arm in arm and it simply means friendship – nothing more.

I've learned that Bandung has only 2 seasons - dry (Apr-Oct) and wet (Oct-March) and I like the dry one much better.

I've learned that socks can hang on the porch 3 days during rainy season and still be wet.

I've learned that I did indeed take my washer and dryer and clean laundry for granted.

I've learned that Indonesia is the flip flop capital of the world.

I've learned a greater tolerance for sharing my space with bugs.

I've learned that you can't buy cornmeal or cottage cheese in Bandung.

I've learned that tapioca is made from cassava (who knew??)

I’ve learned that every parking spot in Bandung has an “overseer” that needs to be paid when you drive away, no matter if you are only there a couple of minutes.

I’ve learned that to Indonesians mothballs and air freshener are synonymous.

I've learned that some restaurants don’t offer napkins, but if you request one they may bring a roll of toilet paper to the table (yes, we've had this happen).

I've learned that people on the equator eat an awful lot of bananas! They also regularly eat fruits we’ve never even heard of.

I’ve learned that it’s awfully hard to explain the difference between close (as in nearby), close (as in “close the door”) and clothes (as in what you're wearing). It’s almost as frustrating trying to explain it as it is trying understand it.

I've learned that the word for cancer in Bahasa Indonesia is kanker (equal emphasis on both syllables).

I’ve learned what fish therapy is and I have no desire to “pamper” myself in this way.

2 comments:

  1. What a wise woman you have become. I so admire your courage and that you and Ronnie accepted the chalange of Bangdung. Enjoy your vacation at home and return refreshed to your apt. Love Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure about the "wise" part, but thanks for keeping in touch and I wish you and Rick and families a very blessed Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete