Sunday, May 28, 2023

Some "people" photos from Chan May

If you've been following along, you already know that I love taking photos!  So when we're out and about, I'm usually trailing along behind (not hearing a word our guide is saying), observing people and snapping photos. As I've said before, my favorite genre is travel photography, and more specifically I love photographing people as we travel. So far on this trip, I've encountered people who absolutely hate having their photo taken (unless you give them money) and others who will rush up to take your picture or want you to take theirs. And everything in between.

Best of all is when I'm able to take 'people photos' when they're completely unaware, because those are by far more natural than when people want to look directly at the camera, smile really big and put 2 fingers in the air.

By the way, I've seen this done in many countries, but to be honest I'm never quite sure what it means. The same hand sign can have very different meanings, depending on what country you're in. For example, when one spreads their second and third fingers into a "V" shape, does that mean victory? Or is it an obscene gesture? It could be either, based on where you are. We learned during our time in Indonesia that we need to be very careful with our fingers, as what we mean vs what is interpreted might be very different! For example, if I'm trying to communicate with someone who doesn't understand English, I'm tempted to give a "thumbs up" to show approval or appreciation. However, in certain countries a "thumbs up" can be understood as being vulgar, or the equivalent to the middle finger in the US. (Of course in Aggieland, it just means gig 'em!)

I try to be very discreet and ask permission (if noticed) when out taking pictures with my cell phone. However, it's much easier to get better, more natural photos using a camera with a telephoto lens because the camera is some distance away and the person/s I'm photographing isn't even aware of me. The downside of a bigger camera, however, is that it can be heavy and inconvenient to wag around. It can also label you "tourist" when you're trying not to look like a target for petty crime. So most days I only take my cell phone. But when in Chan May, I took my "real" camera (40-150mm lens) so I was able to capture a few photos without being noticed.  

 

 

The fruit/veggie lady above doesn't look too happy with me. We were walking pretty fast and I was snapping photos with my phone as I was passing by. There was no time to stop and ask permission and unfortunately she happened to look up just as I clicked. My goal is not to make someone unhappy so I really don't like this photo. Not to mention that someone was walking behind her.

On the other hand, children (unless super shy) really love to have their picture taken. Again, we were walking and this was a quick grab with my cell phone. Had I not been afraid of being left behind, given I was already dragging up the rear, I would have taken time to show them their photo. They seem happy when I do this. Lastly, had this not been a "drive by shooting", they would have all had their fingers in the air with big smiles like the kid in front who spotted me first.


 

The photos below were inside the Royal Palace grounds. You'll notice in the first one that they were unaware I was taking a photo. Then I stopped and asked permission and the 2 girls were happy to pose for me. We were last in our group but had we not been dragging behind, I would have taken the time to ask the gentleman to get in the picture as well or perhaps let Ronnie get the picture with him. But no time for any of that; we're trying not to get separated from group #19 (there are multiple groups from our ship).


unaware of my presence

posing for me

The ones below were also taken while walking around the park-like grounds. Only one of my subjects knew that I was taking her picture. It's easy to spot which one it was! She even smiled while raising her "V" sign up but I couldn't pause walking so the second one was blurry. Also, I really would have loved one of the drinks she was selling - coconut milk in plastic bags with short straws. The beautiful young Vietnamese girl (below) was completely unaware of the camera (actually my cell phone). I wished that the person behind her was not in the frame, but I still wanted to grab a "drive by" photo of her.

 

coming from temple


mother/daughter sharing an umbrella


beautiful young Vietnamese girl


another coconut milk vendor



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

she didn't mind a tourist taking her picture

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In the photos below, I was using my telephoto lens when we were standing still so none of the persons below was aware that I was taking their picture. I was trying to focus on the family below and I snapped just as the little girl opened her mouth in laughter. Lucky catch! The fruit vendor did not see me as she was looking the other way when I walked past. Keep in mind that I'm not strolling around looking for photo ops - I'm shooting as I walk by. A bit further, I glance over and see these kids behind a fence playing with rabbits so I paused to snap a few.

 

 

something amused this little one


fresh oranges and mangoes for sale


2 brothers and rabbits


getting the hair/hat right with help from friends


gentleman inside Royal Palace grounds

 

Later as I sat on the bus waiting for the others to return from the pagoda, I was watching this father/son duo across the street. I watched the entire hair cutting process, and I snapped many photos of the little boy wearing a plastic bag (clever!) while sitting perfectly still for his dad cut his hair. I have a feeling this is a regular occurrence in this household.          


let's get this over with


almost done!


2 comments:

  1. Funny that the boy is wearing a plastic bag to shed hair and his cutter goes bare chested. But you said it was hot. Can you imagine how hot that little fellow was with plastic over his middle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are SO right! I was sitting in an air conditioned bus and not even thinking about how hot his upper half must have been wrapped in plastic! Poor kid! No wonder he had such an unhappy look on his face the whole time!

      Delete