Sunday, May 14, 2023

Phuket, Thailand - day 1

Hello friends & family, and Happy Mother's Day! 

It's the end of our second day in Phuket. It's late and we have to be off the ship early tomorrow morning. We lose another hour tonight, so we'll be back to just 12 hours ahead of the time at home. It's pitiful because we keep losing and adding time (sometimes 1 hour, sometimes 30 minutes) and it's hard to keep up with what time it is! My phone is set to current time as well as the clock in our room but my computer and watch stay on "home time" just because it's a hassle to keep changing everything so often.

What's also pitiful is that I can barely keep up with where we are on any given day - not kidding! We go to bed in one country and wake up in another - the lazy (and least stressful) way to travel! But we've been moving around so much lately that it's hard to remember where we are today, much less where we were yesterday! ha! 

Anyway, I'm blogging even when I don't have much to talk about because I don't want to get behind and then feel overwhelmed, especially with all the photos I'm taking (MANY more than you see here!) 

So since this is really my trip diary, I am posting in an effort to keep myself straight. We wanted yesterday to be a more relaxed day because we knew that we had several long days ahead and we really need to pace ourselves better. I'm not kidding - this heat is really draining me. Our guide today commented that there are 3 kinds of heat here - hot, hotter and crazy hot. They all seem crazy hot to me!

So yesterday we only got off the ship for a few hours to go the mall for a few things. We and a couple of friends decided to catch a cab together. It was still a good walk (in the heat) to get the cab but we did just fine. We arrived at Central Phuket Mall, which actually happened to be attached to another large mall, Central Phuket Festival. I'll post a few photos from both malls. It's good we were on the ship for most of the day though because today was a LONG day and tomorrow is another all-day excursion.

I hope to write about today's adventure within the next couple of days. We may need a vacation from our vacation soon!

PS I did manage to get a much needed pedicure at the mall for $10!! I also found a dental place that did teeth cleaning for $30 but unfortunately they were booked until Monday, so that was a no-go. 

 

from our balcony for 2 days - Phuket Deep Sea Port Co.



drop off entrance - Phuket Central Mall


 

 

 

 

they actually add gold and chocolate to coffee!


I asked Ronnie to get in the picture to show scale


another floor, Phuket Central


view from enclosed bridge linking malls


yes, I had to have a bubble tea

Bubble tea (boba tea, pearl tea drink) originated in Taiwan in the early 80's but is popular in all the Asian countries and even in larger cities in the US (College Station has several).


4 levels - just looking at the picture makes me tired!


Central Phuket Festival Mall


black area on lower level is a koi pond


we walked all over this one too - I was zonked!!


I would be smiling too at these prices!

1 comment:

  1. Bharberts: were the Thai dancer sculptures made of metal? How about the "temple" looking sculpture? Phuket has become a popular tourist area, I think. Lots of movies are made there. Too bad you can't watch "The King and I" and dance all over the ship decks! Are they serving some Thai food while you are there?

    ReplyDelete