Saturday, August 23, 2014

The Old Bakery Tea Room


Today is our 46th wedding anniversary!!  I celebrated by sleeping in while Ronnie rode his bike for 29 miles! HA

He was starving when he got back, so after a quick shower we headed to the Old Bakery Tea Room. It was an easy walk, as most everything in Stow is. It's kind of a hole in the wall type place, but travelers voted it #1 restaurant in Stow (Tripadvisor) so that was a good enough recommendation for me. Even though we arrived well after 1 pm, it was full and we waited 20 minutes or so for a table. Let me just say that it was so worth it. Ronnie had steak and I had a slice of quiche because I knew I would be having scones for dessert! Everything was good but the scones were The. Best. Ever.



streets are busy on holiday weekend, Old Bakery Tea Room on right
 

Alan and Jackie, a husband/wife team literally run the Old Bakery Tea Room by themselves with him in constant motion waiting tables, making tea and hot chocolate, serving desserts and settling checks in between. I could see the small kitchen from where I sat and his wife Jackie was doing all the cooking. A sign in the window said that everything is made fresh on the premises. They are truly an amazing and energetic pair!

Besides running their tea room, Jackie has written a book "Losing Tom, Finding Grace" about their teenage son who committed suicide and how their family came to know Christ (I read this on their website http://www.theoldbakerytearoom.co.uk/) They also have brochures and copies of her book that share their story in the tea room. While waiting on our bill, Ronnie overheard a man approach the owner about his own son so my guess is that God gives them plenty of opportunities to encourage others who have experienced similar losses. Like I said, amazing.



sheep dotting an idyllic countryside



We had intended to catch a bus after lunch to Bourton-on-the-Water to visit Birdland Park and Gardens but it was chilly and raining by the time we left, so we aborted the plan and opted instead to grab a few groceries and spend the rest of the afternoon inside.



one of the best views in the Cotswolds - Winchcomb (goes back to Saxon days)


Since I took hardly any photos today, I'll share instead two of my favorite from Ronnie's bike ride this morning. Awesome!!





4 comments:

  1. Wow, what a wonderful place, great story and awesome images! I am loving this! More please.

    Bekkie Harper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bekkie! Very inspiring couple! If you were here, I'd take you there for tea and scones. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember my Grandmother (Scottish, married an Englishman) used to talk about tea and scones. I would absolutely love to go there with you! Perhaps someday.

      Delete
  3. Bekkie, that would be so much fun! Ronnie is not nearly as thrilled with tea rooms and scones, clotted cream and jam as I am!! ;)

    ReplyDelete