Friday, February 3, 2012

To Durian or Not to Durian? That is the question.

durians - regular offerings at Setiabudhi market
The durian (sometimes referred to as the “king of fruits”) is a popular fruit here in Southeast Asia. I’ve been noticing these strange looking fruits along the roadsides for months now. Turns out, they have quite a reputation and I must say it is well deserved! The durian is large (though smaller than a football) and is easily identified by its prickly spikes and distinctive odor. Some people (notably Asians) consider its odor to be fragrant; others who have not had that much exposure to this fruit consider it highly offensive. I think it’s safe to say that durian is definitely an acquired taste. I remember in Singapore seeing a sign on the dashboard that no durians were allowed in the car! I have since learned that they are forbidden in some hotels and on public transportation as well.


already packaged for your convenience!
In addition to seeing them hanging in roadside stands, I must walk past them to get to the produce section in Setiabudhi market where we shop. Even unopened, their presence is unmistakable. Setiabudhi also offers fresh durian flesh, packaged and ready to go. While durians neither look nor smell appetizing to me, Indonesians love them! Today I asked our driver if he liked them and he declared them to be enak! (very delicious)

durian ice cream for sale
Before coming to Indonesia, we watched a show by Chef Andrew Zimmerrn. He compared the taste of durian to completely rotten, mushy onions and said it “needed a toe tag.” Others have said that it is something you will either love or despise. I agree. According to travel and food writer Richard Sterling, “its odor is best described as pig poop, turpentine and onions garnished with a gym sock.” Other comparisons have been made with the civet (I had to look that one up), sewage, stale vomit, skunk spray and used surgical swabs. Eeuuww.

I waited in anxious anticipation
Besides eating them raw, Indonesians use them in many dishes. Durian donuts, durian ice cream, durian cheesecake, durian pancakes - you get the picture. I’ve been thinking about trying durian for a while and decided the ice cream was my best bet. I knew my sister Marilyn and son-in-law Dave would be proud of me for my culinary branch out. So today was the day. I kept asking myself, how bad can ice cream be??

it doesn't look too bad!
First the vendor put in a spoonful of durian ice cream in the cup. He topped that with a piece of durian flesh, followed by a second scoop of ice cream. He then added canned milk and lastly, chocolate syrup to the top. What could be bad with chocolate syrup on top, right? Uhh….let me just add to the descriptions above by saying it was more like the worst body odor you’ve ever smelled, but instead of being in your nose it’s in your mouth. I took as many as 3 or 4 (small) bites, hoping I could change my mind. Sorry, it just didn’t happen. So I dropped it in the first trash can I saw once we got inside the mall. As we were leaving the mall a while later, Ronnie noticed a security guard standing in front of the trash can with the melted ice cream running out from the bottom. He was on his radio calling for someone to come clean it up. I’m sorry, but how are you supposed to dispose of an unwanted durian ice cream cone?? Ok, I did it. I spent$1 US on a cultural experience. Are yall proud of me? If not, watch the clip below and you will be!



fleshy pulp with seed visible
but looks can be deceiving!
                   


                                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VuXoX3Wt08    



don't even think about it!

2 comments:

  1. I think they're what makes Hong Kong Market (in Houston) smell bad when one first enters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dianne, I'll bet you are so right!! There are some really funky smells in that place as well, and also the one down on Bellaire.

    ReplyDelete