Monday, June 19, 2023

Day 156 - Shimizu, Japan

This post is for my sushi-loving friends. We arrived in Shimizu, Japan around noon today. We didn’t have an excursion booked so this afternoon we decided to walk to a nearby shopping area just to get out for a while. Inside the shopping center, there were numerous places to eat, mostly quick eateries and also a couple of grocery stores - all within 10-15 minutes of the port.

I’ve already mentioned that most of the menus here show pictures of different plates with the meat uncooked. Add to that, I don’t recognize what many of these food items are, so I’m not tempted. Anyway, I took these photos as we walked through the port area, the eateries and a grocery store. If you’re an adventuresome eater, you’ll probably enjoy seeing these. If you’re not into raw fish, probably not so much… Sorry I can't label them; your guess is probably better than mine. I'll throw in a few non-food photos as well.

  

Shimizu Marine Terminal


a short walk to shopping area


fake sushi replica of Mt. Fuji

























meals to go




Shizuoaka, City of Green Tea





4 comments:

  1. I
    Through the years, I have enjoyed oriental art from a samurai to quiet scenes and floral art. You have covered the gamut. And I have wondered how the Japanese have dealt with all the ‘fallout’ of destruction and pain.
    The monuments, the gardens, the food, the people - you have captured the essence from a little boy learning to use chopsticks to even incredible palaces and malls. Suffice it to say I am very grateful you have brought us along…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Karen! I will never see a paper crane without thinking of YOU!

      Delete
  2. Bharberts: Japan is a beautiful land. In Hawaii, Greg and I regularly had social functions where we did not recognize a single thing - except the dish we brought. We learned to bravely try things, and then let each other know what the other would like. We also learned to keep power bars or some nut packets with us as we frequently were starving on the way home! In Hawaii, for restaurants wanting to appeal to Japanese tourists, they have menus outside and at tables like the pictures you show, except the prices are in USD. Those places always seem to be full.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea! We're in Tokyo tonight and have reservations at a popular restaurant. Both being picky eaters, you might want to wish us luck! lol Your social functions in Hawaii remind me of the time I went to a church pot luck in the Cotwolds. I had no idea what to take, but knowing they love pork n' beans, I doctored them into baked beans. Let's just put it this way - they put them on top of their baked potatoes and no one asked me for my recipe. LOL!

      Delete