Saturday, July 1, 2023

the good, the bad and the ugly

First I'll start with the good. We've had a wonderful trip around the world! We're now back in the good ole US of A, and Lord willing, only 12 days from home. The bad is that yesterday in Dutch Harbor (where "The World's Deadliest Catch" is filmed), the weather was rainy, cold and just all around nasty. The ship did not dock, so going ashore meant a 30 minute tender ride in. Dutch Harbor is very small and there was not a lot to do there so some passengers (myself included) chose to stay onboard. 

The ugly is what's happening today! Sometime during the night, the ship began really rockin' and rollin'! It has continued to do the same all day. We've not seen the sea like this in the previous 168 days we've been onboard. And due to rough seas, our port stop in Kodiak, Alaska has been cancelled. Thankfully, we are in no danger, except for the possibility of falling down while the ship is pitching or losing our tummies due to motion sickness.

We didn't even experience this kind of motion when we went through the Drake Passage which is known for its rough seas. Our room is on the 8th floor and believe it or not, at times today the spray has come up as high as Deck 9! However, as long as we're not looking out at the waves, we are o.k. (if one spends much time watching the ocean, it won't be long before that queasy feeling kicks in). We have the RX nausea patches and Meclizine that both help with sea sickness, but thankfully neither of us has had to use them.

We're hoping we'll get to see some wildlife while in our Alaskan ports. Marianne Houston, a fellow passenger and an amazing photographer, posted some beautiful photos of a bald eagle sitting on the ship's antenna yesterday on her blog. She graciously allowed me to share them on this post. Both the eagle - and her photos - are amazing! Ronnie also took several photos of bald eagles while in port yesterday. They were sitting on top of their nest but unfortunately, the distance was too great to capture them in clear focus with just his phone camera.

This being my 7th straight day onboard, there's not much to share. I almost forgot, today is Irena's birthday! Irena is one of two persons who service our room twice daily - Marvin (from Mexico) and Irena (from Russia). They are both wonderful. We left some treats for her on the bed this morning and probably other folks did as well. She's such a hard worker and she always greets us with a smile. I was thinking how not fun it must be to be working on a pitching ship on your birthday!

We have reservations in the ship's Polo Grill restaurant tonight. However, I'm voting for room service, staying in, working on my photos and watching a movie in the room (we learned only recently that we could order popcorn to our room). Re: photos - there's literally no telling how many I've taken since we left home in mid-January! I'm starting the task of going through them to select maybe 10-15 from each port with the goal of putting together a coffee table book. That may sound simple but it will take many, many hours to accomplish this and I'm thinking I should give myself a head start on these lazy sea days. Once we return home, there will be lots of appointments and "catch up" to do before life returns to normal.


photo credit: Marianne Houston


photo credit: Marianne Houston

 

12 comments:

  1. All I can say is WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seas have calmed considerably today - not smooth, just better!

      Delete
  2. Bh: wow!!! It doesn't sound like fun to be ona pitching ship. I heard you feel it more the higher you are. We've only cruised in the Mediterranean and Aegean in the fall, and it was pretty smooth. These photos of eagles are amazing! I have tried winnowing through photos electronically before, and I have to say it is hard! I wound up choosing some for my "book" and just setting up directories in Google photos and giving others permissions to those files. We are happy you are stateside again! You're gonna love coming back to H‑E‑B!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the higher and closer to the front is worse. A couple of crew members who sleep on the front told Ronnie they were pretty sick. :( Yes, going through literally 1000's of photos is a job! Funny you mention HEB - I told Ronnie I will make a curbside order so we can pick up as soon as we get home! Our cupboard is definitely bare. It's funny because there is never a shortage of food on a cruise ship - but it's the "little things" you miss - cheese nips for one! lol

      Delete
  3. Lj. Do you think God is sending messages in subtle ways with the waves of the sea, greeting you back to our 247th year of America as a nation's existance, with rough instead of gentle breezes. We are a more violent place it seems to me.
    We will be glad to see you back homein College Station though and will greet you warmly and I do mean warmly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will feel good to be home, but only if our AC is still working!

      Delete
  4. They seem to limit words or words I see to type so I will send two separate ones. Love so much the Eagle pictures. Have fondness for the bald eagle for many reasons. Both of my boys Eagle Scouts and husband Silver Beaver award in Scouting. And of course the eagle as our country's bird!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful! I didn't realize that both Tim and Rick were Eagle Scouts - what an accomplishment! I didn't know about the Silver Beaver award. Very cool!

      Delete
  5. Jan, I have loved following along as you and Ronnie sailed around the world. Every day, I would get my coffee and look for your post. Sending prayers for continued safe travels as you make your way home! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww.....thank you SO much! I'm not sure who is sending this (just says "anonymous") but I so appreciate your kind words and especially your prayers for us. We've both enjoyed it very much but it will be nice to be home and back to normal. 10 more days and we'll be exchanging these coats and jackets for clothes like we've worn in several other places over these last 2-3 months!

      Delete
  6. Welcome back to the USA just in time for Independence Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Exa! I hope you had a great Fourth of July! Even with all the problems we have in the US, it's still the greatest nation in the world and it feels good to be back. :)

      Delete