Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Sail Away!

As I write today's post, we're on our way to San Francisco where this adventure began 6 months ago. What an experience it has been! Thank you so much for following along with us. Knowing that there are a few of you who were truly interested in keeping up with us gave me the extra push to keep it going!

Last week, all who have been on this 180 day Around the World adventure assembled on the deck for a group photo. We were told to wear our Oceania jackets. I think there were maybe 3 or 4 rebels that didn't comply - not bad!

 

2023 Around the World travelers - aboard Oceania's Insignia

Our final "Sail Away" party was yesterday evening as we were leaving Port Astoria. The Insignia show band played music and singers and dancers entertained us. Unlike our "Sail Away" party in San Francisco, many folks were happily mingling, chatting and even dancing with folks they didn't know just 6 months ago. The weather was absolutely fantastic and the deck party was the perfect ending to an unforgettable experience.

Each department - from the captains down to the laundry staff - was recognized as they circled the top deck to loud music and lots of claps and cheers. Hopefully they each felt how appreciated they are to all onboard!

 

Sail Away party on deck

 

recognition and appreciation of crew members by department

 

Rince Lnu from India (our butler)

 

400+ staff and crew members recognized


I'm sharing some 30 second videos of two of the ship dancers - sorry I have to chop them up but the ship internet just doesn't want to handle anything longer. But as you can see from the short clips below, the ship has some very talented entertainers! I might add that they also help to bring the median age of ship passengers onboard down some. ha!


 


Those below aren't "entertainment quality" dancers but they were enjoying celebrating and having a fun time. Apparently at the end of the Around the World Sail Away party, it's tradition for many of the staff and ship guests to jump into the pool. Some couldn't be coaxed but others dived right in, clothes, shoes and all!


cutting some rugs



some staff and guests taking the plunge

 

Today we are packing and bidding farewell to the new friends we've made along the way. And we're thinking about how to lose some of the weight we've gained with all the wonderful foods we've indulged in over these past 6 months! 

We are very thankful that we've been able to enjoy this extraordinary experience but we are ready to get home, hug some necks and sleep in our own bed! Your following along and keeping in touch has meant so much to us.

I hope to make one final post with a map and some fun facts tomorrow. Thanks again!

Jan (& Ronnie)



8 comments:

  1. Makes me want to tell you goodbye--but wait, you're coming home!! Next trip to Colorado; then why not head for Georgia?? Welcome home!! XOXO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home and thanks for letting us come along. It has been an amazing adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I don't know who I'm replying to but thank you for coming along and commenting. It truly has been the trip of a lifetime. Believe it or not, there's one lady on the ship that has made 11 Around the World trips - and has more booked! And another lady who has negotiated a 3 year contract to live on the ship! I do enjoy cruising but I'm not sure about 11x's or 3 years!! lol

      Delete
  3. I have enjoyed your trip so much and all the great photos. I looked forward to reading your blog every day. I can’t wait to hear about your trip in person.
    Welcome Home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Susan! I'm so glad you enjoyed my blog! Lord willing, we should be rolling into CS around dinner time on Thursday evening. I rsvp'd for game night but having second thoughts - I need a hair cut badly!! haha! Hope to see you and Frank soon!

      Delete
  4. Welcome home! I have loved reading about your adventures abroad! I was checking your blog daily and excited when you had posted! Loved experiencing each port vicariously through you! 😊 Hope to see you and Ronnie back in College Station! Carol Morehead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol! I'm so glad you enjoyed my postings! Ronnie is really looking forward to getting home and enjoying some Texas BBQ with his friend Bobby!

      Delete