Monday, June 12, 2023

A walk through the night market - Keelung, Taiwan

I have too many photos not to break this last port into 2 separate posts. Ronnie and I visited a night market in Beijing, China some years back. It was a memorable experience with many more strange offerings that this one. But still, many of these you won't see at your local supermarket. Some I can't caption, because your guess is as good as mine. But they are all photos I snapped as we walked through the market and then back to the ship.

 

crowded market with food stalls on either side and down side streets

 

crabs?


cow, rooster, pic, deer, ostrich



everything is better with cheese on top!


octopus



roast duck burritos


street cooking, popular place for dinner


grilled squid


duck necks


it's all about the street food


Handmade Meters Intestine? Pig Blood Soup?


serving it up hot


Chiang Kai-shek (?)


temple in market area


I see you


lots of work and lots of eating


cooking offal (internal organs)


mom and daughter at intersection


busy downtown street near market area


passing another temple


motorbike passes in front of camera as I try to photograph street sign

 

If you've never been to a night market, hopefully my photos will give you a good idea of what it one is like.

4 comments:

  1. Bharberts: what a sensory intensive evening! I wonder how those cooks can stand it with the boiling pots, smell, heat, and hot oils, fires and flames for cooking!!!
    I used to eat at places like this when I was young, but no more. Things are much more beautiful in the city there than when I went. They were tearing down old buildings then to make the memorial area and gardens, and the tallest building was not very high in the early 70's. The treasures of ivory, jade and pearls...and the ancient silks. Makes me want to go back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I would be brave enough to eat any of it, unless I was really, really hungry! I don't know how they stand it either but I'm guessing that the sales from the market make up the majority their income. If you haven't been to Taiwan since the 70's, you probably wouldn't recognize it now!

      Delete
  2. I see that people in Taiwan dress more like we do in summer time, shorts, etc. But their food not at all enticing. Who on earth would eat offal soup? Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree!! OFFAL would be AWFUL!! :(

    ReplyDelete