Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A view from the top...


Here we are in Lombok, Indonesia - only days from our own home and our own bed! After completing his assignment at ITB, Ronnie and I flew to Lombok for the Fulbright Pre-Departure Conference. We arrived a few days early in order for Ronnie to be able to hike Mt. Rinjani. I asked him to write about his experience.



view from the top of Mt Rinjani



En (porter) prepares for 2-day hike



Ronnie with Arial (guide)



on the "up and up" climb



Rinjani is the second tallest peak in Indonesia, rising above the ocean over 12,000 on the small island of Lombok in the Bali Sea.  Since we were coming for our departure conference, climbing Rinjani was on my list of things to do.

The trail up Rinjani is only 4.7 miles, but the vertical ascent is 6600 feet (1.25 miles). By comparison, Mt. Red Cloud in CO has a 4 mile trail but only 2000 foot ascent from the trail head.

After a 3-hour drive from the hotel, I (along with a guide and porter) started up the hill at 8am. The trail was okay for the first mile, but I was going on fresh legs. The trail changed at that point and became steep. Each step was an exercise in lifting my whole body, made heavier by the pack I was carrying.

At the half-way point, a European man resting on the trail told me that he was turning back. I asked my guide if I should turn back but he said I could do it, and I continued on. The trail became devilish about 3/4th the way up. It was not only steep, but rocky, or covered with tree roots that looked like snakes. The trail became muddy when it started to rain. It was just awful. We passed 4 young hikers from Singapore and they commented about how strong I was. That encouraged me to keep moving. We passed 2 persons from the UK and they only nodded, too tired to say anything. Every ounce of energy went into taking the next step.



setting up camp for the night



When we finally reached the top, the view was spectacular! I took a few photos and the porter fixed a meal of fried chicken, fried rice and a fried egg. I ate most of it, and crawled into the tent at 6pm, sleeping off and on most of the night. It was raining and very chilly at the top.

Early the next morning, I could barely eat my breakfast. I just wasn’t hungry. The mountain was covered in fog (a cloud). We began our descent at 7am. The trek down was more difficult than hiking up. My legs were sore and tired, yet each step had to be planned and controlled to avoid a fall and ruining my knees.

We stopped for lunch 3/4th the way down and even “my tired” was tired at that point! I already didn’t know how I could keep going, but then it started to rain - as hard as any rain I’ve ever seen! The water rushed down the steep trail and covered my boots on most steps. I was water logged and even more tired from carrying the extra weight of soaked clothing, boots and backpack.



awesome view from top of the crater



Yay Ronnie! Yay Texas! Yay A&M!!



guide Arial
starting decline



Almost down, my legs began to cramp and I thought I was done for, but I stretched for a few minutes and was able to keep going. When we finished, I was so glad!! I tipped the guide and the porter and headed back to the hotel, sore but happy.

Note: Ronnie told me that the porter was carrying an uncooked chicken when they left. Four hours later it was cooked (boiled). The same chicken was used for meals that day and the next (no refrigeration of course). They boiled spring water for tea and coffee and carried bottled water to drink. Amazingly his stomach survived!

1 comment: