Friday, May 11, 2012

Sidewalks of Bandung

With all the preparations for leaving and a flurry of "lasts" in Bandung, I've gotten somewhat behind with the blog. But I still have a few photos to share, along with a final update on Ronnie's work here and our last few days in Indonesia before I close it out.

The sidewalk shots below are not very representative because Bandung sidewalks are typically  crowded with lots of people and merchandise. I liked these because I was able to isolate individuals in their large and busy surroundings. While none makes a particular statement, collectively they add another glimpse into life in a large Indonesian city. These were taken at various places around the city from the back seat of our rented car with the exception of the first one which I snapped in the zoo parking lot.



seen in zoo parking lot  




I have no idea who the portrait is but the word "pupuk" means dung or fertilizer, "kandang" means cage. Perhaps he is selling animal dung from the zoo? It wouldn't surprise me, as Indonesians are ingenious at coming up with ways to make money.



faded lettering says "Two Brothers Store"



I always wonder "where is everyone is going?"



wooden bowls are used to grind rice (?)



sadly, an all too common scene



sidewalk sales



colorful graffiti



food vendor, tailor has stepped away



blank walls = graffiti artist's canvas



SOLD?



No comments:

Post a Comment