Saturday, September 7, 2024

Photos inside the Breakers Mansion - Newport, Rhode Island

The Breakers 70-room mansion is considered by most to be the grandest of  Newport's "summer cottages" from the Gilded Age. It was home to the Vanderbilt family through several generations. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Breakers

I know this is a ridiculous number of photos to post, but I'm doing it anyway in case anyone would like to see what the "cottage" looks like on the inside. Trust me, I took many more than these, but I'll just share most of the main rooms. Because there are so many, I'm leaving out several bedrooms, all dressing rooms, closets, baths, etc. 

 

gate entrance


front view of Breakers Mansion


gallery area


main gallery from above (ceiling to look like sky)


left of gallery
one set of stairs


gallery from above


library


library ceiling


another library view


music room


music room


hallway


over the top

 

Here are some ceilings I snapped photos of - can't remember what part of the house each was in. Just look up!










parlor (I think)


ceiling of one of the outdoor patios


paintings where stairs meet


Mr. Vanderbilt's bedroom


Mrs. Vanderbilt's sitting area (separate her bedroom)


one of the girls bedrooms


main kitchen


stove tops and ovens


one wall of butler's pantry


view of house from back


side view

 

I have no idea how many fireplaces there are in this place. Too many to count and all very different. As I said, I took many more photos - too many to post here. But hopefully you get a good idea of how the wealthy lived during the Gilded years and beyond. And to think - this was just the vacation home! 😮



No comments:

Post a Comment