Thursday, August 9, 2018

The Lazy Side of Lombok

Ronnie hiking Mt. Rinjani

view from the top

our hotel

Sengiggi Beach


So while Ronnie spent 2 days burning calories to climb Mt Rinjani, I stayed behind and got our money's worth out of the resort. I had spent literally hours researching a place to stay, and it turned out to be directly across the street from the Sheraton where the conference would be held. Very handy, and also might I add that the Sheraton is badly in need of remodeling and the place I chose was over-the-top in terms of "niceness." I had read at least 50 reviews of the place (not kidding) and only 2 words remained in my head - tarantula and centipede. I tried to console myself that I would see neither, and besides this place was light years ahead of the 20 year since remodeled Sheraton rooms.

It always feels good to know you've done your homework and the place looked exactly as pictured. What they failed to mention is the very cicaks we were getting away from in Bandung actually have relatives here in Lombok. Not only do they have relatives here, one of them lives in the bedroom and another lives in the living room. Sigh... And not only that, there were ants. LOTS of ants. Ronnie killed a mosquito on the wall and within literally seconds there was a spider and ants all over it. Let me skip ahead and say that the cicaks are even worse here at the Sheraton and one lives behind the mirror in the bedroom. Not to mention I counted more than 20 (one at least 7" long!) on the walls as we walked from dinner to our room last night. It all reminded me of the Proverb about lizards in king's palaces. No matter how nice you try to make it, if you're in Indonesia, there will be cicaks.

The first day we were here I spent some time walking and taking photos on the beach. I had been warned about the beach "hawkers" and they were every bit as bad as I expected. A firm wave of the hand and "no" (several times) usually does the trick. The sun was shining and Ronnie swam in the Bali sea. We both enjoyed it.

The next 2 days it did nothing but rain while Ronnie hiked and I entertained myself at the resort. I had wanted to take a tour but the weather just wasn't cooperating. However, the sun finally came out yesterday and I got to visit a Sasak Village (more on that in next post) so I was happy!

This post is just a glimpse of the beach in Lombok where we've stayed.


No comments:

Post a Comment